Chapter 16: I think he does

Start from the beginning

Alexis nods. "Well, he's telling the truth. He also probably told you about the shapeshifter in St. Louis. Yeah, cause that wasn't us either." Alexis smiles.

~~~

Alexis sat beside Dean in the van that Sheridan was driving.

"So we're being extradited to St. Louis, huh?" Dean asks through the caged window. "And you just decided to transfer us yourself, 800 miles at 2 in the morning?"

"That's a red flag." Alexis mutters.

"You're right, this can't be good."

A few minutes later the van comes to a stop.

"Pee break? So soon? You know, you might wanna get your prostate checked." Dean says. Sheridan gets out of the vehicle. "Son of a bitch." Dean mutters.

"We are so screwed." Alexis taps her fingers against her thigh. The the doors open.

"Hey, we're cool in the van. You go do what you gotta do." Dean tells him. Sheridan grabs Dean by the collar of the jacket and throws him out of the van and onto the ground. He turns back to the van, roughly grabbing Alexis' arm. "Hey, leave her alone." Dean says.

"Dean, shut up. You can't do anything, you're handcuffed." Alexis glares at him. "You'll only make it worse for yourself."

"You're a cocky son of a bitch." Sheridan smirks. "You think those people in St. Louis are gonna buy that crap you're peddling? Here's the thing, neither one of you are gonna make it to St. Louis. You're gonna die trying to escape." Sheridan jerks Alexis toward him, pressing a gun to her head.

"Wait, wait. Lets talk about this. You don't wanna do something you're gonna regret." Dean holds out his hands.

He cocks the gun.

"You know what, I think he does." Alexis meets Deans eyes.

"Pete." Diana Ballard, Sheridans partner, calls out. Sheridan points the gun to her now. "Put the gun down."

"Diana? How'd you find me?" He pushes Alexis to the ground and turns the gun back to her.

"I know about Claire." She says.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Put the gun down."

"Oh, I don't think so. You're fast, I'm pretty sure I'm faster."

"Why are you doing this?"

"I didn't do anything, Diana."

"Its a little late for that."

"It wasn't my fault. Claire was gonna turn me in. I had no choice."

"And Tony? Karen?"

"Same thing. Tony scrubbed the money. Then he got skittish and then he wanted to come clean. I'm sure he told Karen everything."

Dean glances at Sam, shaking his head no.

"It was a mess, I had to clean it up." Sheridan continues. "I just panicked."

"How many more people are gonna die over this?" Diana asks.

"There's a way out. These kids are a frigging gift. We can pin the whole thing on them. Okay? No trail, nothing. Just two more dead scumbags."

"Hey." Dean complains.

"No one will question it. Diana, please...I still love you." He says. Diana lowers her gun. "Thank you. Thank you."

Sheridan goes to shoot Alexis, but Diana shoots first. At first Alexis didn't feel anything, but the sound of two gunshots was definitely there. Then Alexis looks down at herself. Blood poured from her shoulder.

Dean grabs Alexis' arm, pulling her away further away from everything. He looks over her, his eyes landing on her bleeding shoulder.

"Then why don't you buy me another necklace, you ass." Diana walks toward him. Sheridan lunges at her, knocking her off her feet. He grabs the gun that had fallen from her hand, he stands up just as Sam starts to move toward the two.

"Don't do it, don't do it." He points the gun at Sam. Then at Dean and Alexis, and finally at Diana. Alexis eyes widen as she spots the ghost behind him

"Dean...look." She mumbles. Dean turns, seeing her as well. Sheridan turns to see the woman and Diana grabs a gun and shoots him. Pete Sheridan falls to the ground.

~~~

The sun had risen. Dean and Alexis were finally out of handcuffs. And Alexis' shoulder was sort of patched up. Good enough for now at least. Diana stands up, walking away from the dead body of Pete and toward the hunters.

"You doing alright?" Sam asks.

"Not really. The death omen, Claire. What happens to her now?"

"It should be over. She should be at rest."

"I'm certainly not." Alexis mutters, hugging her arm to her chest.

"So, what now, officer?" Dean asks.

"Pete did confess to me, he screwed up all of your cases royally. I say there's a good chance we can get your cases dismissed."

"You could take care of that for us?" Sam asks.

"I hope so." She shrugs. "But the St. Louis murder charges? That's another story. I can't help you. Unless...I just happened to turn my back and you walked away. I could tell them the suspects escaped."

"Wait, are you sure?" Sam questions.

"Yeah, she's sure, Sam." Dean tells his brother.

"Yeah, she can't be talked out of it." Alexis glares at Sam.

"No, its just, I mean you could lose your job over something like this."

"Look, I just want you guys out there doing what you do best. Trust me, I'll sleep better at night. Listen, you need to watch your back. They're gonna be looking for all three of you now. Get outta here. I gotta radio this in." She waves her hand.

"Hey, uh, you wouldn't know where my car is by any chance?" Dean asks.

"Its at the impound yard on Robertson. Don't even think about it."

"Its okay, no, Its alright. Don't worry. We'll, uh, we'll just have to improvise. We're good at that." Sam smiles.

"Yeah, I've noticed."

The three hunters turn and start to walk away. Dean sets an arm around Alexis' shoulder causing her to wince a little, but she leans into his side.

"Nice lady." Sam says.

"Yeah, for a cop." Dean replies.

"I don't like cops." Alexis mumbles.

"Does she look familiar to you?" Dean asks.

"No, why?" Sam looks over at Dean.

"Not sure." Alexis shrugs, the motion sending pain throughout her shoulder.

"I don't know. Anyway, you hungry?" Dean asks.

"No." Sam says.

"Yeah, I could eat." Alexis nods her head.

"For some reason I could really go for some pea soup." Dean tells them.