-19-

"Come, rest with me."

I pulled off my shirt and climbed onto the bed, crawling towards my father. He held his left arm up, then curled it around my waist as I laid down on my left side. I snuggled closer and hugged his side. Papa kissed my forehead, making me want to giggle.

"I heard from Trent about what happened. You did well." he praised, which made me even happier.

"Thank you." I smiled, squeezing him tighter. My smile faded a bit. "Um, Papa?"

"Yes, my little bear?"

"Did Trent tell you about earlier today?"

He stiffened. "What else happened?"

I nosed his collarbones and tucked my head closer. "It's okay, Papa. I took care of it. I just thought you should know."

Papa's body started to relax and I could feel the tension draining out of him. "All right, Theodore. What would you like to report?"

I explained what happened at the public restroom, including the little details about what I'd heard from Twig and my suspicions regarding the origin of those orders. When I finished my recounting of the situation, Papa inhaled deeply and slowly exhaled as his body trembled. He hugged my form tighter, so I returned his firm squeeze and kissed his Adam's apple. I then scooted higher, so Papa took the hint and pressed his face into the crook of my neck.

I pushed my fingers through his thick, silky black hair. While I rubbed his scalp and nape, Papa was able to slowly relax. He stroked my back with firm, gentle sweeps. I was able to lessen the tension in my body thanks to his touch, warmth, and scent. Papa inhaled deeply again and released a gentler exhale this time.

"My little bear, what do you think about this as a whole?"

"Well, according to Trent, Caleb said that André got angry about something someone in the Crimson Jackdaws brought up. Since he told Trent to get me, I have a sneaking suspicion that the kerfuffle was related to me. But you can talk to any of those involved to retrieve the full story. Nine of our men were seriously injured in the altercation while fourteen members of the Crimson Jackdaws experienced similar injuries. Since André did attack first—regardless of provocation—I will apologize on his behalf. However, I require an apology from them as well because I called off our men and I was attacked from behind not even two minutes later."

"Yes, Trent told me that angering news."

"But I have a feeling that the middle triplet I humiliated has something to do with both of these things—the attack in the restroom and provoking our men. Benjamin won't tell me willingly, but what if I rip it from him?"

Papa chuckled. "Indeed, you are my son."

I beamed and kissed his head, squeezing his shoulders. "I love you so much, Papa."

His lips hit my right collarbone and he hummed his usual tune for a few seconds. "I love you too, Theodore."

"Oh, Papa, Aimé took me to a giant plushie store."

His head tilted back and his golden-brown eyes were sharp. "Is that so?"

"He sent me the pictures because I asked to have them for you and Grandma."

Papa's smile broadened and he kissed my cheek. "You are so sweet, my son."

I blushed. "I'll send you the photos after cuddle time, Papa."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Also..."

"Yes?"

I bit my lip. "M-may I go see my friends sometime after we get back? I feel bad leaving them high and dry."