Chapter 14: On this segment of I regret my life

Beginne am Anfang

"You gotta be kidding me." Dean mutters.

~~~

"Yep. Holmes was executed at Moyamensing May 7th, 1896." Dean tells them.

"We get to kill a serial killer. Hmm, cause that sounds normal." Alexis props her feet up on Deans legs as he sits in the chair beside hers.

"H.H. Holmes himself. Come on, I mean, what are the odds?" Sam chuckles a little.

"Yeah, and I gotta explain this to Mae if she's alive." Alexis sighs.

"Who is this guy?" Jo asks.

"The term 'multi-murderer' they coined it to describe Holmes. He was America's first serial killer before anybody knew what that was." Dean explains.

"God, we're so cool. We get to kill the first serial killer in America." Alexis laughs.

"He confessed to 27 murders. Some think over a hundred." Sam adds.

"And he favorite flavor of victim is, pretty, petite blondes. He chloroform to kill 'em. But he'd also keep 'em alive for a little bit. Inside the walls of the apartment. That's why I have hope that Mae could still be alive." Alexis picks at her fingernails.

"Which is what I smelled in the hallway last night." Dean realizes. "At his place, cops found human remains, bone fragments, and long locks of bloody blonde hair. Boy, you sure know how to pick them." Dean glances at Jo.

"We just find the bones, salt them and burn them, right?" Jo asks.

"Well, its not that easy. His body is buried in town but its encased in a couple tons of concrete." Sam smiles.

"What? Why?" Jo asks.

"So, people, like us, don't go digging up killer's grave's. So, we normally stick to regular graves." Alexis shrugs.

"Yeah, story goes that he didn't want anybody mutilating his corpse. Because, you know, that's what he used to do." Dean adds.

"You know something? We might have an even bigger problem." Sam starts digging through papers.

"How does this get bigger?" Jo asks.

"Holmes built an apartment building in Chicago. They called it the Murder Castle. The whole place was a death factory. They had trapdoors, acid vats, quicklime pits. He built secret chambers inside the walls. He'd lock his victims in, keep them alive for days. Some he'd suffocate, others he'd let starve to death." Sam explains.

"So, like Alex said, Mae could still be alive. She could be inside the walls." Jo says.

Dean stands up. "We need sledgehammers, crowbars. We gotta smash these walls anywhere thick enough to hide a girl."

"Ooh, yes. Finally a fun thing to do." Alexis smiles.

~~~

Alexis and Sam were walking down the hall when someone ran into Alexis.

"What the hell!" She stumbles, but strong arms catch her.

"Oh god, Lex. Sorry." Dean stops her from falling to the floor.

"What the hell are you running from? Its not like I'm chasing you with the crowbar."

"He's got Jo." Dean explains.

"What?"

"How'd that happen?" Sam asks.

"I wasn't with her. I left her alone. Damn it." Dean curses as the three continues down the hall.