Chapter 1 The Marriage

Lucius was dreaming of a handsome, dark, devilish god with eight packs and black eyes feeding him the most exquisite wine he had ever tasted with those luscious lips when the butler, Mr.Carter's stern voice dragged him out of paradise.

"Master Lucius, wake up."

No matter how grown up Lucius was, Mr. Carter's voice could always sober him up instantly. He propped his eyelids open, rubbed his face, and groaned from the onslaught of a hangover headache, "huh? What?"

"His lordship wants to see you."Mr. Carter stood straight and tall next to his disheveled bed, unfazed by the chaotic image of several of his half-naked, passed-out frat friends and escorts scattering on the lounge bed, couch, and floor.

Lucius sat up groggily, blonde locks all tangled and messy, "what time is it?"

"It's ten in the morning."

"Geeze Carter, so early!"

"They are waiting for you." Carter waved his hand, and a maid quickly entered with newly washed clothes in her arm.

Lucius dragged his heavy body out of the warmth of the comforter, managed to finish brushing his teeth, washed his face and brushed his shoulder-length hair into a presentable state in ten minutes, and put on the attire Carter had chosen for him. He looked much more like a demur college boy in the white shirt and muted green sweater, a look that his parents preferred.

Lucius looked into the mirror and rolled his eyes, "why do you dress me to look like my brother?"

Carter replied calmly, "you brother no longer wears secular clothing, master Lucius."

"I meant like my brother before he became the High Priest." Lucius signed, "what's going on? Why do you want me to please my parents? What did I do this time?"

"I'm afraid I'm not in the position to disclose."

"Fine...I will find out soon anyway." Lucius grunted as he left the room.

Lord Rosenfield was standing next to the window, a cigarette between his fingers, while Lady Rosenfield was sitting on the couch, looking tense. Lucius spotted some small cakes, cookies and tea on the table, fetched one scone with jam, took a generous bite to appease his empty stomach, and slumped into the nearest armchair.

"You want to see me?" Lucius asked with a mouthful of scone.

"You are getting married." Said Lord Rosenfield curtly.

Lucius blinked, "what?"

"You are of age, and it is an honorable arrangement." Said Lady Rosenfield softly, "it's your chance to serve your king, your country, your people, and defend our belief."

Lucius's chewing paused in alarm, "what does my marriage have to do with serving the country?"

Lord Rosenfield turned around and strolled closer to his wife but kept his eyes locked on his son, "You are betrothed to Prince Dorian Ashdown of Eternia."

Lucius choked on his scone and coughed for a few moments before blurting out, "are you fucking kidding me?!"

"I don't care how you speak with your friends, but this is not how we talk in this house." Lord Rosenfield berated.

Lucius couldn't stay calm. He stood up abruptly and almost knocked over the teacup, "I can't swear, and yet you can sell me to some abusive blood-thirst devil psychopath?! What kind of father are you? Do you really hate me this much?!"

"It's in their premises of the peace treaty. Dorian Ashdown specifically said your name, and if I don't agree to it, the war will never end! Do you want your people to suffer for another decade, or even worse, be enslaved by the vampires in five years?!"