50: The Last Day On Earth

"Don't." Abraham muttered.

"I can try and break the chain." I sighed frustratedly as I did my best to free a couple walkers to get to a gun cache.

"It won't work." Rick spoke up.

"I can try." I gritted my teeth as I did my best to break the chain with a hammer.

"It won't work." Abraham repeated.

"We need the supplies." I argued.

A man cackled from the dark bush as Abraham and I backed away from the walkers. The hairs on my back raised as Daryl and Abraham stood in front of me and raised their guns at the Saviors.

"You're treating your people good, right? Like it was
your last day on earth? Or maybe one of theirs? You better go. It's gonna get hot. You go get where you're going." The man from earlier waved. "Go, go. Get on."

The RV engine revved as Rick reversed the vehicle and then tore down the road.

"So, what's the play?" Abraham asked.

"Maggie needs a doctor." I pinched the bridge of my nose.

Sasha eyed the map, "There are two more routes north from here."

"They're probably waitin' for us right now. So, they're ahead of us, probably behind us." Daryl rubbed his bottom lip with his thumb.

"But they're not waiting on us, per se, they're waiting
on this rust bucket. And they don't know the moment-to-moment occupancy of said rust bucket." Rick spoke from the front.

"What ya suggestin'?" Daryl and the rest of us eyed Rick suspiciously.

"What Ruby said earlier." Rick answered.

"Carrying her?" Sasha furrowed her brows.

"It will take a couple of us to carry her and then at least two people to guard. The rest will stay on here."

"What about gas? We just put the last of what we have in it." Abraham crossed his arms over his chest.

"If you see a car, try to siphon the gas. Other than that, you keep moving." Rick replied.

Abraham nodded, "I'll have 'em thinking we're playing their game. All phases of the turn, level after level, move after move, I'll keep 'em spun."

"Glenn and I will carry Maggie. Daryl will guide us to Hilltop while Ruby guards us from walkers." Rick planned. I sighed of relief that I would be with Maggie and Daryl. That way I knew they'd both be safe!

"Sounds good to me." Daryl cracked his knuckles as he readied himself. I prayed everyone would be safe. Michonne sat next to Rick and held his hand as they prepared. I prayed they would all be safe! We couldn't afford to lose anyone else. After a few more clicks on the road we came to a stop and piled out. Rick and Glenn helped Maggie onto the stretcher before carefully carrying her out of the RV.

"You go steady on the pedal. You don't make that thing gulp." Rick eyed Abraham.

"We'll be good. You take care of yourselves." Michonne hugged and kissed Rick quickly.

"Thank you. We will." Rick smiled at her. We waved at the others as we started our venture through the forest. Daryl lead as I followed behind cautiously.

The RV engine started and slowly took off down the road as we continued on. Growling and faint rustling of footsteps approached us as we did our best to   navigate in the moonlight.

"Glenn, please. Just let me walk it." Maggie pleaded from underneath her blanket.

"Relax. Just a few more miles." Glenn whispered to her. Maggie groaned slightly as we continued on. We had walked for roughly ten minutes before I heard odd rustling in the bushes to the right of us.