49: Detour

Maggie's muffled cries could be heard from the street as I ran to my friends aid. There was no way in hell I would allow anything bad to happen to her or her baby!

"Move!" I commanded as I pushed through the crowd that was at Glenn's and Maggie's front steps.

Once through I made my way inside and found Maggie on the couch with Glenn by her side. I ran to back side of the couch and leaned over as Maggie opened her eyes and gently held my hand.

"You came." She winced as the pain increased. Sweat beaded on Maggies tired face. Dark circles formed under her eyes which caused her skin to appear almost grey.

"I'm here for you, Maggie." I assured her as she lightly smiled. Glenn mouthed a 'thank you' to me as Denise approached.

"What is it?" Glenn gulped.

"It's the baby." Denise spoke. "It's why she's so ill."

"Is the baby alive?" Glenn began to worry.

"I don't know." Denise sighed. "Which leads me to my next worry.."

"What worry?" My brows furrowed in confusion.

"I've never dealt with a pregnancy here before nor a miscarriage. Seeing that we all have the virus it makes me worry if the fetus has it too."

"Are you suggesting that the baby will turn into a walker and feed on Maggie from the inside out?" Glenn's eyes widened.

"Which means we need to cut it out!" Denise explained.

"No, I won't do it! There has to be another way." Maggie shook her head as she held her stomach.

"This is the only way I can help you." Denise sighed.

"It's her body therefore it's her choice!" I snapped at Denise.

"I understand that," Denise spoke lowly. "I just fear that she doesn't have much time."

Glenn and I eyed each other worriedly until a light bulb turned on in my head.

"What about Hilltop? They have the technology to see if the baby is still alive. We get her there and have Harlan determine what can be done!" A spark of hope rushed over me.

"Then you'd better drive fast and get her there as soon as possible!" Denise smiled sadly.

I nodded and eyed Glenn, "I'll tell the others. Keep her comfortable and pack water, snacks and a puke bag to bring with us."

"Alright. Thank you." Glenn stood up and ran around gathering supplies.

My eyes drifted down to Maggie. I smiled at her and squeezed her hand gently, "You're strong! You can push through this, okay? I know you can!"

Maggie nodded as she rested her head on the pillow and panted. With that I ran out the door and down the steps to the group.

"Is she okay?" Rick asked, concern laced his voice.

"We need to take her to Hilltop, now!" I ordered. "Ready the RV."

"On it!" Abraham grumbled as he and Rosita ran towards the vehicles.

"We need a stretcher of some sort to carry Maggie out on. She shouldn't be walking in her condition." I explained.

"There's one in the spare room in my place." Denise explained from the front door.

"We'll grab it." Sasha and Aaron ran towards Denises.

"Are ya a'right?" Daryl walked up to me with my bow and quiver in hand.