17: Hot Wired

Waking up next to someone I cared about brought on a new feeling. One I wasn't exactly sure of. Daryl wrapped his arms around me and held my against his bare body as we slept through the night. I felt so safe and secure in his hold that I didn't want to move. My body shivered as flashes of last night raced through my mind.

"Ya awake?" Daryl mumbled.

"Mhmm." I groaned, enjoying the warmth of his body.

"We should get up." He grumbled.

"Just five more minutes." I grumbled back.

Daryl grunted, "What about findin' the group?"

"I know," I sighed, rolling onto my back. "You ever think about just staying here?" Daryl leaned on his side and narrowed his eyes at me. So I continued, "We have shelter, food, and water here. And we have the fence as a border which we could all easily maintain and watch!"

"What are ya sayin'?"

"I'm saying that when we find the group we should bring them here. Start our own little community."

"What about Alexandria?"

I contemplated telling Daryl what had happened but figured it wasn't important. Instead I crawled out of bed in my nude state and went to the dresser. The only item I wore was the cross necklace. I clipped on a bra and then underwear while Daryl watched.

"Enjoying the show?" I peered over my shoulder. Daryl sat on the bed and watched me; a faint smirk plastered on his face. I rolled my eyes and reached into my fathers dresser and threw him a pair boxers.

"Make the bed and then go have your morning smoke." I smirked. "While I cook us some breakfast." 

I jogged down the steps and put on the now dry clothes that were kept by the fireplace overnight. Walking into the kitchen I started up the stove and cooked up the last two squirrels Daryl shot. Once it was cooked I took the plates outside and sat next to Daryl on the bench.

He was now fully clothed and was halfway through his cigarette. "Thanks." He grunted. Digging in, we ate up our grub before packing our gear.

"What about yer bow?" Daryl asked. I smiled as I opened the gun cabinet and pulled out my dads traditional long bow and his set of arrows. I had forgotten how beautiful it was. The wood grain patterns were exactly how I had remembered them to be. The white and brown arrows were in immaculate condition!

 The white and brown arrows were in immaculate condition!

"Yer fathers?" Daryl muttered.

"Yes," I smiled sadly as I slid the arrows into the quiver with my arrows. "This is the bow he taught me to shoot with."

"C'mon." Daryl nudged me as he walked out the door. I let out a sigh as I slung the bow across my chest and locked the cabin door.

This time Daryl and I decided to walk back in the direction he originally wanted to the night we all fled the church. We hiked until we came upon a truck parked along the side of the road. Daryl and I took caution as we approached the vehicle, both taking a side to check. Daryl cleared the truck as I checked for keys.