12: Trouble in Paradise

A week and a half went by slow—too slow for my liking! My hands had healed and thankfully left no scars. The wound on my stomach had healed nicely thanks to Maggie's skills. However, it did leave a faint scar which Carl called a "battle scar." Since then the stitches had come out and I was granted freedom by Maggie! I was giddy with joy that I could finally hunt and scavenge.

Since finding the note in the pharmacy Tara, Glenn, Maggie and I collectively decided we'd wait to share the information with the group. We first wanted to see if Gabriel would confess his sins. For the entire week we asked the priest questions and watched him closely for any reactions. The man could not be read as he kept a calm composure.

This is gonna be harder than we thought, I groaned mentally.

Daryl and I avoided each other like the plague but every now and then we'd exchange glances at one another. My heart stung as I yearned to be in his presence. I missed talking to him even as a friend. But I knew better and I had to keep my distance. Ever since that night Daryl was rarely at the church. Every morning at the crack of dawn he'd wake from his new spot in the corner of the church, grab a bite to eat and then head out hunting or scavenging.

Tara had taken Daryls old spot on the bench across from me. It made for interesting late night conversations and gab sessions. We reminisced the days when we first met and how different we both were. It sure helped distract me and made getting over Daryl easier.

"Hey Ruby!" Carl carried Judith in his arms over to me.

"Hey Carl! And ass kicker." I giggled as Carl handed Judith over to me. I gently rocked her back and forth as she sucked on a soother. As I stared down at her small face I sang a little tune,

"Caterpillar in the tree, How you wonder who you'll be,
Can't go far but you can always dream,
Wish you may and wish you might,
Don't you worry hold on tight,
I promise you there will come a day,
Butterfly fly away."

"Whoa!" Carl grinned. "I didn't know you could sing!"

"I was a part of the church choir growing up." I smiled. Church choir taught me how to harmonize and sing decently well. I was once told I had a soothing and soft voice.

"What song was that Ruby?" Sasha asked, smiling as she enjoyed the song.

"Butterfly fly away," I answered. "By Billy Ray Cyrus and Miley Cyrus."

"I thought I recognized that song!" Sasha grinned.

"You have a beautiful voice!" Morgan complimented.

"Thanks." I grinned.

"Did someone find a radio or are my ears playing tricks on me?" Abraham entered the church from the front door.

"They aren't playing tricks on you." Eugene answered his friend.

"Not this time." Sasha giggled.

Rosita grinned, "Ruby is our new live entertainment!"

"Shit girl you're like a triple threat!" Abraham chuckled making everyone laugh. "Well I'm sorry to break this party up but Rick wants to speak to ya outside Ruby."

"I'll be right there!" I nodded at Abraham and handed Judith back to Carl. I threw my leather jacket on and gathered my gear before making my way outside to Rick. I crossed my fingers as I held onto my bow with a firm grip. As I approached Rick was chatting with Glenn and Michonne.

"Hey," I cleared my throat, "You wanted to see me?"

Rick nodded his head at me, "How are you feeling Ruby?"