40: Tracker

Third Person Point of View:

Daryl groaned as he woke out of his sleepy state. He reached over to Ruby's side of the bed but found that it was empty. He had grown so used to her presence that it felt odd not to have her there.

Daryl slowly dressed himself for the day before making his way into the kitchen and having some oatmeal for breakfast. He eyed his bow as the corner of his lips tugged into a small smile. Ruby would love to go for a hunt after yesterday's events, he thought.

After Daryl finished chowing down the oatmeal he slung his crossbow over his shoulder and made his way over to Tara's house. As he knocked on the door he wondered how hungover Ruby would be. Daryl chuckled to himself at the memory of how drunk she had gotten at the cabin.

"Hey." Tara groaned as she opened the door.

"Ruby awake?" Daryl grunted.

"What do you mean?" Tara rubbed her tired eyes.

"Ya know, Ruby? She said she would be here with you." Daryl rolled his eyes, irritated by her lack of knowledge.

"Ruby never came by." Tara yawned. "I assumed she had fallen asleep. She did say she was exhausted. Did she not go home?"

"No." Daryl became concerned as he jogged down the steps.

"I'll check with Maggie and Carol." Tara shouted as the screen door closed behind her. Daryl jogged over to Ricks and pounded on the door.

"Daryl? Hey." Carl answered the door.

"Where's yer dad?"

"He's in the shower. What's up?" Carl eyed Daryl suspiciously.

"Have ya seen or heard from Ruby?"

"Last I saw her was last night. Is everything okay?" Carl became concerned.

"Daryl? What brings you here?" Rick sauntered down the stairs.

"Ruby's missin'." Daryl announced as he jogged down the steps and ran to the gate.

"Morning Daryl!" Sasha and Glenn waved.

"Who was on night shift?" Daryl shouted.

"Abraham and Rosita were. Why?" Sasha answered.

"Did they report that they saw or heard anything?"

"Only a few walkers. Why?" Glenn leaned over the side.

"Ruby's gone." Daryl adjusted the bow strap on his shoulder.

"Have you checked with Maggie?" Glenn asked.

"She never came by." Maggie jogged up to the gate. Rick, Michonne, Carl, Enid, Tara, Eugene, Spencer, David, Rosita, Abraham, and Carol followed behind.

"She has to be here." Rosita panted.

"Ruby never came to the gate." Abraham grumbled.

"Are you looking for Ruby?" Gabriel asked as he approached the group.

Daryl glared at the priest, "Do ya know somethin'?"

"Ruby came to the church and spoke with me last night." Gabriel revealed.

"What?" Maggie's eyes widened. To Maggie this was weird since the last time they had spoken Ruby still hated Gabriel's guts for what he did.

"What did she say?" Rick stepped closer to Gabriel.

"We talked about what it was like when she died and.." Gabriel paused hesitantly.

"And what?" Daryl stood in front of Gabriel. "Huh?"