25: Wolves Come Out To Play

Three days flew by faster than I expected. Not that I'm complaining, I mentally joked. I became Maggie's roomie and slept in the spare bedroom. Maggie and I kept each other entertained and distracted throughout the days. We took turns cooking meals for each other which was a nice break since I always cooked while Daryl would occasionally help.

Everything was going swell inside the walls. We tried not to wonder what was happening beyond the wall as it caused worry and a lot of stress. I packed all my weapons, including the guns I kept in the closet, and brought them over to Maggie and Glenn's. I also packed a small bag of clothes and would occasionally go over to the house and swap them out when I felt like it. I had taken a couple of Daryls shirts and wore them when I missed him. The loneliness hit me harder when I was alone. The first night was the worst as I couldn't fall to sleep at all. The second and third night consisted of nightmares. I wasn't the only one who felt this way as Maggie and I would find ourselves in the kitchen drinking water. Last night Maggie and I had fallen asleep on the couches. The first time we were both able to sleep for more than three continuous hours.

Even Maggie's presence couldn't stop the nightmares. My mind tortured me with glimpses of Daryl being mutilated and beaten in front of me. Each one consisted of invisible forces hurting Daryl while I stood behind a glass barrier screaming and begging for his life. If that weren't bad enough my mind tortured me more by forcing me to watch Daryl have intimate moments with random women. My heart knew that Daryl wouldn't cheat on me but my mind was a skeptic. In my heart I trusted Daryl and that's all that mattered.

"Morning sleepy heads!" Tara stormed into the house. Maggie and I groaned as she swung open the curtains letting in the bright sunlight.

"What time is it?" Maggie yawned, sitting up on the love seat she slept on.

"It's eight o'clock!" Tara laughed at us. "You two party it up last night?"

"I wish." I said groggily, rubbing my eyes. Tara pulled the blanket off of me forcing me to get up from my comfy and warm spot.

"I'm up! Happy?" I made my way into the kitchen.

"Seriously Ruby?" Tara scoffed. "Go get changed into other clothes!"

"I like these though." I poured myself some water and snacked on a granola bar. My hair had been stuck up in a messy bun while I wore one of Daryls long sleeve shirts and a pair of sweatpants.

"You've worn that same outfit for the past two days!" Tara shook her head at me. "Enough is enough! Go get changed!"

"But I like this shirt."

"Just do it!" Tara ordered. "Go shower up, change into other clothes and then go on a hunt with Spencer or Aiden! I'll have Annie or Carol do your laundry!"

"Fine." I mumbled. Maggie laughed as she watched from the couch. Tara then lectured Maggie while I went up to the spare room and dug out clean clothes to wear. The hot water felt amazing as I stepped into the shower. I stood under the hot water as flashes of Daryl and I roamed through my mind. The way his skin felt against mine, his hot breath against my neck, the warmth of his body, and the way his touch sent sparks of electricity through my body. For once I allowed tears to escape as the water cascaded down my body. I held my hand over my mouth trying to contain my sobs. It had been a while since I cried that much. I craved Daryl so much that it was slowly driving me insane.

After my self-pity-party I scrubbed myself down and got dressed for hunting. I wore a navy blue tank top with my leather jacket over top, my fathers necklace and black jeans. I decided to pull my hair back into a high ponytail before buckling on my belt. I then looped my knife on one side and the revolver on the other. Deanna had revoked her gun policy since her husbands passing. I know she didn't care for guns but I was happy that she finally understood our concerns. We all appreciated her for allowing it.