18: Alexandria

Memories replayed through my mind as we approached the community of Alexandria. Rick lead the way as Daryl and I trailed behind. Rick made the place out to be a safe haven but I was skeptical. I knew I wouldn't be allowed to stay but that all depended on who was leader. Rick remained the leader to me and he was who my allegiance stayed with. Whoever was leader of Alexandria would not appreciate it if they knew that.

"Ya a'right?" Daryl mumbled.

"I'm fine." I sighed. "You had me worried back there."

"I'm fine." Daryl huffed.

"You could've died." I muttered.

"Ya could've been taken." Daryl shot back.

"We're almost there." Rick interrupted as we made our way along a metal wall. I mentally thanked Rick for the interruption. Rick explained that the wall was huge and expanded around the entire community. A lot like how the wall was at my fathers camp, but not metal. Daryl and I stayed silent as Rick halted and turned to us.

"What?" Daryl was first to ask.

"You won't be allowed weapons on you in there." Rick eyed us. "We're only allowed a knife."

"You've got to be kidding me." I groaned as I held onto my bow for dear life.

"Just listen to me," Rick explained. "Leave your weapons here and that way while you two are interviewed myself or someone else from our group can come back here and retrieve the weapons."

Daryl and I glanced at each other for a moment before answering simultaneously, "No!"

Rick shook his head at us and pleaded, "At least leave your guns out here! They may allow you to keep your bows. I promise that myself or someone from the group will collect these!"

Daryl and I shared another glance; this time agreeing with Rick. Under a bush we stashed the 30-30 rifle and my fathers revolver. Rick thanked us as we once again followed him to the front gate.

"Open up." Rick said. From above the wall I saw a man look over before shouting to someone else to open the gate. The gate slowly rolled open revealing the community of Alexandria. It was bigger than I had remembered. The town was in immaculate condition considering the outbreak we faced. I stayed close to Daryl as we followed Rick to the big hall which held jail cells. A place I recognized too well. Before reaching the doors I heard a faint yell. Daryl and I turned to find Maggie and Glenn running towards us. My heart swelled as I ran to Maggie and held onto her tightly.

"Thank god you're alright!" Maggie cried, letting me go as she inspected my face. "What happened?"

I peered over my shoulder at Daryl who chatted with Glenn and Rick. I smiled sheepishly, "A lot."

"You'll have to catch me up later then." Maggie smiled, hugging me again. "First you'll need to do your interviews with the leader."

"Who is the leader?" I bit my lip. Maggie was about to answer but Rick called. Frustrated, I turned to Daryl and Rick, following them inside. Rick led us down a hallway until we came to an office. We sat down on a bench while Rick informed the leader of our arrival. My foot tapped on the floor as I grew anxious.

"Ruby," Rick opened the door. "You're up first."

"No," Daryl stopped me, holding onto my arm. "We go in together or not at all."

I turned to Daryl and caressed his face with my hand, "I'll be okay. Stay here with Rick." Daryl narrowed his eyes for a moment before nodding his head. I took a deep breath before entering the office.

In the room was a big oak wood desk. The walls were covered in diplomas and certificates. The back of the leather chair faced me as I stood still, waiting for the leader to reveal themselves.