9: Reunited

A few days had went by since I had been accepted into the group. During that time I built relationships with everyone. Even met a new face that hadn't introduced themselves before, Eugene. It hurt a little hearing the name that once belonged to a man I considered family. I shook it off and forced a smile onto my face.

Michonne and Rick had been skeptical of me which I didn't take offence to. I could see in Ricks eyes that he wanted to open up and trust me but remained wary. Rosita and Sasha I considered friends where as I thought of Maggie like a sister. Maggie kept raising her eyebrow at me and smirked whenever Daryl and I would share glances. I caught Maggie doing so from the corner of my eye once and I rolled my eyes at her. To my dismay she caught me and started laughing causing everyone to start asking questions. Thankfully everyone dropped the topic after I played it off.

Daryl and I hadn't spoke since I was accepted into the group. He spent most of the days out scavenging and hunting while the rest of us took turns guarding the church. When he would return he would keep his distance which I did my best to ignore and respect. The first night Abraham and I had been paired for the first shift while the rest slept. On the second night Rosita and I were paired. On the third night Michonne and I took guard. Michonne preferred to keep to herself which I respected. I left her alone most of the shift and would check in on her throughout the few hours we stood outside. She seemed to appreciate the gesture and conversed in small talk with me. It wasn't too bad considering each shift lasted four hours.

Today Daryl, Rick, Abraham and Sasha were out on a run. I longed to be a part of the scavenging group but knew I had to earn it first. Instead I rested and ate a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and lunch. The portion sizes were mediocre but I couldn't complain. I sat on a chair in the corner of the room and sharpened my machete while Carl, Carol, Maggie and Glenn played black jack. I smirked at the four as Carl schooled them.

Atta kid, I mentally laughed.

Once satisfied that my machete was no longer dull I moved onto my knife that I always kept in it's holster on my belt. It desperately needed to be sharpened! I laughed as Carl had once again won the game of black jack. Glenn whined and complained as Maggie and Carol laughed. I had begun enjoying the company of everyone here at the church. I knew that if I ever decided to go solo again that it wouldn't ever be the same—I wouldn't be the same.

"Hey!" Ricks voice shouted from outside as their vehicles came to a stop. Everyone exchanged glances before heading outside to investigate. I followed suit as I slid my knife back into it's holster. I slung my katana over my shoulder and laid my bow against the chair. Rick and the others had returned and all smiled as they unloaded the big truck. The roar of a motorcycle engine signalled that Daryl had also returned. Daryl shut off the engine and adjusted the full satchel of game he had caught. I envied him being able to hunt.

"What is it?" Maggie asked.

Rick grinned, "Look who we came across!"

Out of the truck jumped down a woman with shoulder length chocolate brown hair with tan cargo pants, a grey t-shirt and a red flannel. Her eyes scanned the group until they fell on me. That's when I recognized her.

"Tara?" I asked, flabbergasted.

"Ruby?" Her hazel eyes lit up in surprise. She ran to me and embraced me in a firm hug. "I thought you were dead!"

I held onto her and didn't intend on letting go. We stood there for god knows how long as the group stood around too in shock to speak.

"So, uh.. how do you two know each other?" A new man asked from beside Rick.

Tara was first to release me as she turned to her friend, "Morgan this is Ruby. The one I was telling you about!"

She smiled as she wiped tears from her face.