27: Restore

Two days had passed since the wolves attacked. Their leader had been locked behind bars and awaited interrogation. Abraham and Rick would make sure he spilled everything!

Deanna had become ill as she was bitten by a walker during the chaos. Spencer spent most of his time with his mom until she told him to leave. Rick explained to us that she tried to kill herself but couldn't. The last thing Deanna asked Rick to do was to keep her only remaining son alive. Rick agreed. Spencer was at her side before she made her last request. He fulfilled the task by stabbing his mother in the head as she turned into a walker.

Alexandrias numbers dwindled as so many died. In the past two weeks we had lost a dozen people. After removing the dead from inside Alexandria we burnt the bodies a good distance away from the community.

I helped Spencer, Aaron and Barnes dig graves as we buried our dead inside the walls. My heart hurt for Spencer as he covered his family with dirt. He had no one left.

"They're together now." I said lowly as I stood behind Spencer.

"How do you do it?" Spencer sniffled, peering over his shoulder at me.

"Take it one day at a time." I knelt next to him. "My mom once told me that we don't ever truly lose our loved ones. She explained we carry them with us and that they see life through our eyes."

"She was wise." Spencer eyed the graves. "I should make them crosses."

Spencer collected supplies for crosses as Aaron, Barnes and I finished digging and filling in the other graves. Even though it was a beautiful sunny day it felt as if a dark rain cloud hovered over us. All of us were mentally and physically exhausted.

"Ruby." Morgan called as he approached me.

"Hey." I wiped my forehead of sweat as I leaned on the shovel handle.

"Rick needs you at the cells."

"Did he say why?"

Morgan hesitated, "I think it's better if you go see for yourself."

My brows furrowed as Morgan took over for me while I marched over to the hall. The hall was eerily quiet and empty now that Deanna and Reg were gone.

"Rick?" I called out. Abraham and Rick walked up the steps as they heard me.

"Thanks for coming." Rick cleared his throat.

"Any news of Daryl?" I swallowed the lump in my throat. Rick shook his head at me as my heart sank. Daryl was still missing which drove me mad. I needed to know he was alright even if it meant leaving Alexandria and searching for him on my own.

"What do you need me to do?" I sighed.

Rick and Abraham glanced at each other for a moment before eyeing me. "He won't talk to us."

"What makes you think he'll talk to me?"

"Cause he said so." Abraham scratched his beard. "He didn't give a reason."

I nodded at them while I bit the inside of my cheek. The only time I wanted to see the man again was if he were dead. It would take a lot of self discipline not to kill him myself.

Rick and Abraham stood in the stairwell as I approached the mans cell that was closest to the stairs. I pulled out a chair and sat on it as the man sat in the corner leaning against the wall.

"They finally brought you." He said lowly.

"Won't talk to them but will talk to me, huh?" I glared. "What's your name?"

"Owen. What's yours?"

"Ruby."

"That name sounds familiar. Have we met before?" His head tilted towards me.