43: Jack

Jacks eyes popped out of their sockets as he stared at me in shock. "It's really you!"

I smiled as tears of joy made their way down my face. Without hesitation I marched up to him and hugged the man I considered an uncle. "I can't believe you're alive!"

"It's gonna take a lot more than the dead to kill me." Jack laughed as he rubbed my back gently before releasing me.

"It's almost been five years!" Jack smiled as he held me by my shoulders. "You've grown into a beautiful young lady!"

"And you finally got some grey hairs!" I joked. Jack rolled his eyes as everyone stared at us with questionable looks. Daryl still narrowed his eyes at Jack as if he were an enemy.

I turned to Daryl and placed my hand on his arm to calm him down, "Daryl this is Jack. He was one of my dads best friends."

Daryl continued to stare down the man as Jack stepped closer and held his hand out.

"Nice to make your acquaintance." Jacks eyes squinted at Daryl. Hesitantly, Daryl shook Jack's hand before Jesus stepped in.

"Jack used to work at the base that we will be attacking." Jesus explained. "He knows the ins and outs of this place. He can even draw us up a map."

"Why would you do that for us?" Rick eyed Jack with suspicion.

"Negan's reign of terror must come to an end. I want to help you all." Jack explained. "We can't live like this anymore. Everything was better when Trevor was the leader."

Daryl rubbed my back when he realized the mention of my father saddened me. I leaned into him and mouthed a thank you to him.

"Let's go inside and chat. Shall we?" Rick gestured towards his house.

Jesus, Rick, Maggie, Jack and Glenn made their way to the house as Daryl and I followed behind. As we approached the front door Rick turned to me, "I think you should stay out of this. Go catch up with Tara or Rosita."

"What?" I snapped at Rick. Was he being serious? Jack was like family to me and I wanted to be a part of this meeting. I had every right to!

Before Rick could speak Jack interrupted, "Is there a problem?"

Rick's jaw clenched as he turned to Jack, "Ruby here was just on her way to help out in inventory."

"And I said I'd help them later. This is more important." My eyes narrowed at Rick. Whatever grudge he held against me could wait! This truly was more important.

"I'd rather think it'd be more important." Jack eyed Rick. "Every moment we waste gives Negan more time to build an army."

Rick released a sigh as he stepped back allowing me access into the house. I purposely bumped Rick's shoulder as I shot him a glare before smiling at Jack. Jack winked at me as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder before guiding me to the kitchen table. Daryl and Rick followed behind as we all took a seat. I sat next to Jack as Rick and Daryl sat across from us. Maggie sat next to me while Glenn sat at one end and Jesus sat at the other.

"So, tell us about this base." Rick hunched over the table and held his hands together.

"It's an old emergency fire hall and ambulance base." Jack drew out a on paper of the area. "It's surrounded by mesh metal fence and on the other side of that is a wall of walkers that are all chained together."

"That's fitting." Glenn shook his head.

Jack raised an eyebrow at Glenn before continuing, "Inside the fire hall are roughly ten men and women. In the ambulance station there are another six."