Part 42

It was game day. We would face Everton this afternoon at home in Meadow Park. Our season was going great. We were at the top of the table and had two more games left after this. To make everything even better my family would come over to watch those last two games.

The game started well for us. I started as a central midfielder in a more defensive roll than usual but I wasn't complaining. I received the ball from Daan and passed it up to Beth. I ran around her along the line and asked for the ball back which she did with a superb pass. 

I made my run along the line. Nearing the box I cut inside and saw Louise running into the box. I crossed the ball towards her and she headed the ball in behind the goalie in the net.

Within the third minute we were up one goal. Louise ran up to me and jumped into my arms. I caught her and held her up with one arm while I threw the other one into the air. 

After a short celebration with the team, we ran back to our half to resume the game. While doing so I waved at the fans when I passed them, making them cheer even louder.

The game resumed shortly after. Not a lot happened during the first half only that I was able to assist Viv in the twenty sixth minute. 

So by half time it was already two nil. We went to the locker rooms and Joe gave us some pointers to look out for. The atmosphere inside the locker room was relaxed, maybe a little bit too much so.

The whistle from the ref was heard, indicating that the second half was about to begin. Standing in our positions we waited for the ref to start the last half of the game and when she did it confirmed my suspicion.

The start of the second half was far from easy. The first 25 or so minutes we even struggled to create changes or even hold on to the ball long enough to do so. It even got worse when in the sixty first minute Everton managed to score.

It took a while longer but eventually we seemed to get out of our funk. Our passes became better, our runs were more precise and our defending was more spot on.

In the eighty third minute I recovered the ball just in our half. I passed it to Kim who passed it to Daan. Daan was standing right outside the box but was surrounded by Everton players. I made my run right next to her and with a cheeky pass through the heart of the defense I was alone in front of the goal. I didn't hesitate and slotted the ball in goal through the legs of the goalie.

I turned around and threw my hands in the air with a big smile on my face. Viv was the first to reach me and pulled me into a hug, lifting me from the ground. Soon the others followed. Leah patiently waited for everyone to congratulate me before she pulled me into a tight hug.

"I'm proud of you." Was the only thing she said before making her way back to her position. Nine minutes later the ref blew her whistle, ending the game. My teammates jumped around celebrating our win.

Together with the whole group we went around the stadium, greeting our fans, signing stuff, taking pictures, and overall making time for them.

I was about to go into the locker room when Joe stopped me and asked me to follow him. He guided me to a small room.

"I just wanted to tell you how great you played today."

"Thanks coach."

"But I think it's time that we talk." I immediately realized what he was talking about.

"You know."

"I do. Are you going to take it?" He asked me softly.

"I'm not sure yet. I can't seem to make a discussion." I sighed out. He nodded at what I had said.