"It's true, you know."

"I believe you Jordy. Don't worry." I laughed.

Viv, Lisa, Katie and Beth joined our group near the sidelines where we were currently having a water break. Viv stood next to me and swung her arm around me.

"How are you holding up?"

"Good. As long as I'm here it feels like it's not real. I think when I go back home and she's not there that it will fully sink in."

"We're here for you. Remember that." Lisa said, squeezing my arm.

"I know. Thanks guys." I gave them all a smile.

"So have you talked with your lawyer about the settlement?" Katie asked.

"Yeah, I have. She immediately said not to take it because if I did it was kind of the same as saying that I had lied all along."

"Good. I swear if you would have taken it, I would have knocked some sense into you myself." Katie said, while standing on her tiptoes to make herself look bigger. 

"Ooh, I'm scared now."

Everyone except for Katie burst out laughing. She just had a pout on her face. I walked up to her and wrapped my arms around her.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Alright ladies, let's finish training first and then you can declare your undying love for each other." Coach walked past us.

"And McCabe is right. I would have helped her knock some sense into you if you would have taken the settlement."

We all laughed at our coach and went back to work.

I was in my room facetiming Mason when I heard the doorbell.

"I'll get it!" I heard Leah yell downstairs.

"Who's at the door?" Mason asked me.

"I don't know. Probably Lisa and Viv or Katie and Ruesha."

"Okay, I'll leave you to it then. Good luck this weekend"

"Thanks. Love you."

"Love you too."

When I hung up my phone, Daan walked in my room.

"There's someone here for you." She simply smiled and walked out again. I furrowed my eyebrows. Who could be here for me? I got up from my bed and made my way downstairs.

I was shocked. There were no other words than that. In front of me stood the person who I had yearned for ever since Stacy's death.

"How are you here?" I whispered. Not really sure if my mind was playing tricks on me. She was supposed to be in Barcelona.

"That seems to be the way you greet me every time we meet but to answer the question, Alba dropped me off at the airport and then I took a plane here and then I took a cab." She smirked at me.

I didn't say anything more. I ran up to her and threw my arms around her. She reciprocated the hug.

"You're really here."

"I am. I picked up a small injury and wasn't allowed to play over the weekend and after everything that happened I decided to pay you a visit to see how you're doing."

"I'm fine."

"Yeah, I guessed." She said while giving me a kiss on the head. After some minutes standing there hugging each other we pulled away and took a seat on the couch with the rest of my friends.

"How long are you staying?"

"Till a little after your game. Then I have to go back for a check up. Hopefully I get cleared to play by then. Until then I'm all yours." She smiled at me. 

"Where are you staying?

"At some hotel in town. Have to make a reservation though so I can't stay for too long."

"What? Nonsense! You can stay here. The more the merrier. We have everything you need: food, drinks and you can sleep in Ellie's room." Leah stopped the Spaniard from making reservations.

"I don't want to overstep my welcome." She said,

"Oh you're not overstepping, we're insisting." Daan laughed.

"Okay, I guess."

After we had convinced Alexia that it was okay for her to stay at our place and after some dinner and chillin on the couch, we went to my room. I helped her settle in with the mattress and stuff and now we were laying on our beds. There was a comfortable silence between us until she broke it.

"So, how are you doing?"  She just looked my way.

"I'm fine."

Unlike Alexia, I didn't face her. I kept on staring at the ceiling because if I would look at her I would for sure break. The nights were the worst for me to be honest. For many reasons like for starters it was the time of day I was usually left alone with my thoughts and second of all the nightmares. I was brought out of my thoughts by Alexia.

"You know you don't have to lie to me right? How are you really doing?"

"Please don't."

"Don't what?" She asked me, curiosity taking over.

"Don't make me talk about it." I whispered. It surprised me that she had heard me in the first place because I for sure wouldn't if I was her.

"Why?"

"Because if I start I don't know if I'll be able to make it stop." I fought back the tears at this point. They were trying so hard to come out.

"Then I'll be your shoulder. I'll be here for as long as you need me to."

That was all it took for my walls to come crashing down. The emotions I had tried so desperately to keep in, were finally coming out. I broke out into a sobb, one became two until I fully broke down crying.

Alexia instantly was by my side. She got into my bed and wrapped her arms around me. I cuddled into her, holding on for my dear life. I felt like for the longest time I was trying so hard to keep my head above water. Doing my best not to drown and now I had given up and the only lifeline I had was her.

An hour of crying went by and Alexia had stayed true to her words. She stayed. I was cuddled up to her with my head on her chest. She had one arm around my shoulders and with her free hand she was stroking my hair or rubbing my cheekbone with her thumb. It was oddly soothing.

Eventually I felt so sleepy that I couldn't fight it anymore. And for the first time in a very long time I had a peaceful sleep without any nightmares.