Chapter 5: Damn you, Sam

Start from the beginning

"Oh, don't listen to them, baby. They don't understand us."

"What's there to understand? You have an unhealthy obsession with this car." Alexis leans against the front seat. Truth be told, she was happy to be back in the impala too.

Sam scoffs. "You're in a good mood."

"Why shouldn't I be?" Dean asks.

"No reason."

"I got my car. Got a case. Things are looking up."

"Wow." Sam chuckles. "Give you a couple of severed heads and a pile of dead cows and you're Mr. Sunshine."

Dean laughs a little.

"I think its good you're happy. Although you are more annoying that way." Alexis jokes and Dean gives her a look.

"Somebody needs more coffee." Dean smiles at her.

"Yes, somebody does." She smiles back. Alexis was glad that he was in a good mood, it made her happy.

"How far to Red Lodge?" Dean asks.

"Uh, about another 300 miles." Sam answers.

"Good." Dean says.

~~~

"The murder investigation is ongoing. That's all I can share with the press." The sheriff tells the three as they sit in his office.

"Sure, sure, we understand that. But just for the record. You found the first head last week, correct?" Sam asks.

"Uh-huh."

"Okay, and the other, a Christina Flanagan."

"It was two days ago. Then-"

He was cut off by a blonde woman saying, "Excuse me, sir." She taps her watch.

"Oh, thank you." The sheriff nods. "Sorry, time's up. We're done here."

"One last question." Alexis insists.

"What about the cattle?" Dean asks.

"Excuse me?"

"You know, the cows found dead, split open, drained, over a dozen cases?" Dean continues.

"What about them?"

"So you don't think there's a connection to the murders?" Alexis crosses her legs as she picks at the hem of her skirt. The sheriff gives her a look. "I mean, first, cattle mutilations. Then two murders. Kinda sound ritualistic, don't you think?"

Dean glances at her before turning back to the sheriff. "You know, like satanic cult ritual stuff." He adds.

The sheriff laughs. "You...." He stops laughing. "You're not kidding."

"No." Dean says.

"'Fraid not, sir." Alexis smiles.

"Those cows aren't being mutilated. You wanna know how I know?"

"How?" Sam asks.

"Because there's no such thing as cattle mutilation. Cow drops, leave it in the sun within 48 hours the bloat will split open so clean its just about surgical. The bodily fluids fall down into the ground, get soaked up because that's what gravity does. But, hey, it could be Satan. What newspaper did you say you worked for?"

Dean clears his throat. "World weekly news."

At the same time Sam answers. "Weekly world news."

Alexis sighs, pressing her lips together.