The unconventional way

Aaryaveer's POV

"We will reach by tomorrow evening!" Gasped Brahamadutta as we managed to travel around half of the path.  Sun had began to set.

"Yeah, let's create a temporary camp here tonight." Proposed Nakul.

Three of us sat under the stars as the soldiers went ahead to take their sleep breaks.

"You did the right thing by sending Utsav to with Veertiji." Said Nakul as he played with the grass.

"Though, fighting without him makes me miss him." Chuckled Brahamadutta, knowing fully well how Veerti needed someone to ensure things operate smoothly.

"What do you think about Veerti?" Suddenly Nakul asked me, completely taking me by surprise.

"What about her?" I feigned innocence.

"I mean, we don't know her at all. We don't even know if she really belongs to our kingdom. Initially I thought that she was a spy of Sanket Singh's kingdom but when I saw you returning with her, hale and hearty from your previous operation, I knew we could trust her." Said Nakul.

"Yeah, she is good at her work." I commented.

"I was thinking.... You know... maybe." Nakul had a blush on his face.

"Maybe?" I knew where his mind was heading towards. And trust me, I was getting annoyed every passing second.

"Maybe, if she agrees, can you propose her on my behalf? I mean I would love to court and marry her." He said, dreamy eyed.

I couldn't completely blame him. After all, only Utsav had knowledge about Veerti's real identity.

"Actually I can't." I didn't bother to tell him the exact reason.

"But why ?" Nakul pouted like a child who was denied his favourite toy.

"Just like that. I think you should focus on the war." I tried to sound stern. But Nakul being my childhood buddy, couldn't restrain himself.

"I never knew that I would find strong woman so appealing. I haven't seen her face but the way she speaks... the way she moves... I know she has this incredible personality. I don't care about her skin tone but the way she is so humble while talking to everyone and yet, her no-nonsense attitude attracts me towards her. Her language indicates that she is well read and knows how to deal with the world. I would be really thankful, if you could arrange our alliance." Said Nakul, as he twitched his eyes to remember the woman whom he was describing. Yes, the same woman who was my wife and his sister in law.

I couldn't stop frowning even though I had to control my tongue. Nakul saw it. Brahamadutta saw it too.

"I think someone wants to marry that lady himself!" Joked Brahamadutta even though his eyes were serious. Perhaps he wanted to know my intention.

"But I thought he would never marry anyone except Her Majesty, Queen Aaryawati." Nakul looked doubtful.

And that was it. I had to tell them the truth. That Aaryawati was Veerti and Veerti was Aaryawati.

"I am sorry brother. I didn't know that was my sister in law. Please pardon me." Nakul looked repentant. I smiled at him with the hearty assurance.

"Do not worry. Our lips are sealed. Your information is sacred and safe." Chuckled Brahamadutta.

As we went to take a nap, suddenly Nakul turned around. I knew he wanted to speak up. He had hard time holding himself back. He snickered at me with his final question. "Does Aaryawati has a sister?" I glowered.