The Queen Mother's concern

Just to clarify. In the old times, the kings would provide presents to their subjects/servants/ palace workers in the form of their worn ornaments as a token of gesture for bringing any good news

Sejalbai's POV

"Really? Is that true?" The Queen asked me with tears of happiness in her eyes. Yet, I could see a sign of hesitation in her eyes.

"Yes it is! Queen Aaryawati just fainted while arranging her ornaments." I replied.

"Isn't it possible that it is because she is worried about Aaryaveer? I have never seen her more anxious!" She asked.

I requested then looked down at the floor and signalled that I wanted to talk to her privately.

"I want all of you out of my chambers." Queen mother roared and all the dadis (female servants) got out of the chamber.

"Your Majesty! She has missed her periods." And that was the final blow. The Queen Mother became silent for a while.

"Now listen to me Sejalbai. If the news is true, chances are that our Kingdom would get its heir. But we cannot not announce that right now. I need to consult our Royal physician first. If what you say is a truth, I am certain that it will change the entire political scenario and the future of our family as well as kingdom. So I want you to stay mum and pretend that nothing has happened. Is that clear, Sejalbai." She almost roared.

And now I realised why my friend wanted to stay like a docile daughter in law. So that she could command the respect and support of a powerful woman like Queen mother. However I was scared of what would happen if the physician would discover the truth.

We went to Aaryawati's chamber, albeit without any dasis. The Royal lady physician was summoned while Aaryawati laid on the bed with a tired smile on her lips. Her acting was on the point. And that again reminded me why my friend was a diabolically sound person.

For a split of a second, I saw a look  pass between the physician and Aaryawati as the Royal physician continued with the examination. The Queen mother perhaps missed it. However it was hard to tell as the expressions of the Queen mother were inscrutable.

"Your Majesty! The Queen is indeed pregnant." declared the physician.

The Queen mother hugged Aaryawati with tears in her eyes. Before she could summon all the servants and send the announcement to the Father King, Aaryawati stopped them.

"Your majesty, I suggest we keep it only to ourselves. I mean, you, Your Highness, me, Sejalbai, our physician and His Highness." Aaryawati deliberately adopted a timid hesitant voice and sugarcoated it with a "request" tone.

"Why daughter, it's a great news. If our public will come to know about it, they will be overjoyed and that will instil a new sense of hope amongst everyone." Queen mother tried to convince Aaryawati.

Meanwhile, we heard the announcement of His Highness, entering into the chamber. Apparently he had heard about Aaryawati fainting in the morning.

"Daughter, are you well?" He rushed in as the door closed behind him.

"Sejalbai informed me that our Aaryawati is pregnant." The Queen smiled. The King removed his mala (an ornament worn in neck, usually made with gold or pearls as well as precious stones) and handed over to me, as a gesture of appreciation. I thanked him.

The King smiled at Aaryawati and imparted his blessings and well wishes.

"Aaryawati wants this news to be private between everyone who is present in this chamber." Queen mother clarified, her expressions now solemn.

"But why daughter? Don't you know that it's the time when our public needs to hear this news?" Said Father King.

"I can understand your enthusiasm, Your Highnesses." Said Aaryawati. "However, please try to understand. Do you think, that the King Sanketsingh would ever leave us alone, if he is enlightened that the King Aaryaveer has a possible heir for the throne? He will attack our palace directly or try to harm me indirectly through his spies. He was our ally in past and yet he cheated us. Can we trust him to fight the battle with utmost honesty? I apologise for being selfish but I do not wish to entertain any prospect of harming my baby." Said Aaryawati as she put her hand in front of her abdomen, as if protecting her baby.

The King and the Queen both fell silent, looking at each other while admiring the thought process of Aaryawati. Meanwhile I admired her solid acting skills.

"Daughter, we both need time to think about it. Meanwhile, let's all keep the whole matter between us until we come up with a valid decision." Said King Father and soon we were left alone in the chamber.

"What was that?" I was shocked to the core.

"Well, that's the part of my flawless plan. I intend to leave the palace by tomorrow noon." Explained Aaryawati.

However before I could question her further, she got up and sat on the table and started writing something on the parchment paper.

Understanding her plan was beyond the capacity of my head. So I decided to leave her alone and concentrate on my lunch.