Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Miranda's POV

"Nin -iel!" Thranduil greeted me with a hug, swinging me around in a circle.

I surprised everyone, including myself as I replied, "Adar!" I felt everyone around me go stiff. "It just slipped out." They relaxed but I caught them glancing worriedly at each other.

~*~

I stayed in the library that day. Thranduil and Elrond had things to talk about and I needed to read. That was at least the intention.

I woke in my room with no recollection as to how I got there. I looked around, hoping I could see something, but it was pitch-black. Then out of the shadows, I heard the sound of claws on coins.

"Adar!" I cried, running up and hugging a great scaly body.

"Am I?" Smaug's voice rumbled through the room.

"What?" I heard myself asking.

"You called another 'Adar'. You have forsaken me and my memory! You are no longer my daughter! I deny you!" Smaug yelled at me, then he opened his mouth wide, swallowing me whole.

I sat up and screamed. Breathing heavily, I looked around the room. I was still in the library.

The door banged open; two elven kings rushed in followed by a string of guards. I tried to pretend as if nothing had happened. I looked up at them in innocent confusion.

"We heard you scream," Thranduil said.

"Are you alright?" Elrond asked.

I nodded. "I'm alright, are you sure the scream came from in here?" I asked, not wanting even more attention drawn to myself.

The two looked at each other. "No," Elrond said. The group of people turned around and ran back out the door.

"Sorry for the intrusion, Princess," Nrimir said, pulling the door closed behind him. I chuckled to myself and returned to my book.

~*~

"Did you ever find the source of the scream?" I asked them at dinner.

"No," Lord Elrond said, looking perplexed.

"Then I'm sure it was nothing," I told him, placing my hand on top of his.

He nodded, "You're right. I just wish we hadn't gone on that wild goose-chase."

Now I felt bad, I had inconvenienced them. I rubbed his hand and ignored the look Arwen gave me. She probably knew, she usually did.