Ep 66

PoV: Shadow

It was afternoon now. Cream and Cheese were hungry as they woke up. Sonic had been playing with them, keeping the kids and himself distracted.

"Shadow is awake," Cream smiled, "Can we get pancakes now?"

"Pancakes?" I sat up and Sonic handed me a bottle of water, "I think we can do that. We'll have to make a stop first."

"Okay. Let's pack up so we can go eat,"
Sonic had already packed Cream's sleeping bag and her pack. They were both in different outfits.

"What did you do with your old clothes?" I didn't want to leave any traces.

"They're in here for now," Sonic held up a plastic bag, "Until we can find a safe dumping place."

"You're smarter than I thought you were," I kissed him.

"This isn't my first time running away. I know you shouldn't leave a trace behind," Sonic took out sleeping bag and shoved it all into the sack it came in. We quickly took down the tent and put it back into the trunk.

I made a stop at the nearest atm. I had my own privet saving, I quickly took out a few hundred in cash to use. I'd only use my card for an emergency.

"Okay, let's se what we can do about getting you some pancakes," I took a look at the map and found a near by Home of Pancakes, "HoP is it."

"Pancakes!" Cream cheered. Sonic smiled seeing her happy.

I played music on the radio for the kids to sing to. What mattered most was remaining safe and hidden until we delivered them in the Acorn Kingdom, but that was still a three day trip away. We needed more than music for her in the mean time. We needed entertainment too keep her mind off things.

We parked. And Sonic quickly tied up his quills, allowing some to fall lose a a messy ponytail. He replaced the pants he wore with a skirt. Once again, Sonic was my girlfriend.

"What can I do for you... uh..."

"Table for four please," Sonic held my hand and smiled.

"Of couse Ma'am. Right this way," the host lost all hesitance and showed us to a family table, "Would you like a coloring menu young lady?"

"Yes please," Cream and Cheese happily took a coloring menu each.

We ordered and ate. I made sure the kids went to the bathroom before we got back on the road. Shadow even stopped at a dollar store so the kids could pick out some car activities to keep them busy. Coloring books, snacks, a cooler for food, some small toys,  we got them a small comfort blanket and pillow they could carry anywhere they wanted.

"They fell asleep," Sonic checked on them in the back seat again.

"That's good. They'll sleep further through the morning if they're up late~" I yawned as we drove through the sunset.

"Maybe we should stop to get some coffee first," Sonic placed his hand on mine.

"Yeah, I think that's a good idea," I pulled into a gas station.

"You like it black, no cream, no sugar, right?" Sonic pulled his hoodie on over his fur.

"Yeah. I should fill up on gas in the mean time. I'll keep an eye on the kids."

  Sonic walked in as I filled up on gas. He returned with a perfect coffee and two hotdogs.

"They were out of chilli," He handed me one of them.

"So you got every topping they had?" I chuckled seeing the bacon bits, relish, chopped onion and every condiment covering the hotdogs.

"I didn't know what you liked so I got everything," he smiled, biting into his equally messy hotdog.

"I don't think I can drive while eating this," I remained parked, taking a bite of my dinner and sipping my coffee.

"We'll keep going after we eat."

"Sonic," I smiled as he took a sip of his own drink, "In the Acorn Kingdom... I heard it was legal for infected-"

"Gay," Sonic cut me off, "This isn't a disease. It isn't an infection like some stupid zombie apocalypse. We're gay lovers, and you better call us that."

"Alright. I heard is was legal for gay lovers to marry after the age of eighteen," I pulled a small box from my coat and held it out to him.

"Shadow..." he took a box and opened it. Inside was simple gold band ring. It was one of the two I wore on my middle fingers every day. Sonic slipped the ring on but it was too big for his ring finger. He took it off and placed it over his middle finger instead, "Did you just propose to me in a gasstation over hotdogs?"

"I... I wanted to do it soon. I couldn't by you a ring so I just gave you one of mine. But yes, it may not be the most romantic moment, but it is the quietest one we've had in a while..."

"Yes Shadow. I'll wait until we're eighteen. We can celebrate the wedding with chillidogs and pizza," Sonic laughed.

"Maybe we could do something fancier than that."

"No way. We'll wear suits and get married at town hall. Then we'll run to the first pizza place with a newly wed special."

"So long as I get to marry you, and take you down in bed afterwords."

"Shadow, Cream and Cheese are in the car," Sonic face flushed red.

"Quite an imagination you have, what were you picturing me doing to you exactly?" I raised his chin.

"I'll tell you once the kids are safe," he grinned and I kissed him.

  We drove off into the night. Finding a nice secluded spot to sleep. We didn't set up the tent since Cream and Cheeese were comfortable. We just slept in the car. Still, I kept an eye out as Sonic slept.

  I'm going to marry this man. No laws will stop us.

~~~

10 / 22 / 2022