17

October 29th📍Football Field

October 29th
📍Football Field

- Harper -

I was talking to Lexi and Ruth when I saw a shadow creep behind me, and their eyes wandered over my head. "Ruth- we have to go... get our bags."

"Right- yeah we do, let's go now, bye, Harper!"
The two spun on their heels and left, practically running away, giggling together.

I turned around to meet the shadow of a football player - I presumed by the shape - who happened to be Ricky.

"You've still got it." He smiled contagiously. His helmet was held under one arm. His auburn curls were damp from sweat, and his freckled skin was glowing. What a sight, huh.

"You're not too bad yourself." I grinned, breaking my neck to look up at him. "Good game."

"Thank you. What are you doing to celebrate?"

"I actually don't know, what about you?"

"The teams heading for milkshakes in the diner, if you'd like to join."

"Yeah, um, can I bring the girls?"

"Of course."

"And James is home too..."

"The more the merrier." He smiled. "Not sure the waitresses there will agree though."

I let out a huffed giggle, "I'm sure we'll all squeeze in."

"Speak of the devil..."

"Hey." James came up from behind me, stepping to my left. "Good game." He did that weird bro-handshake with Red. He was wearing his glasses today, which was a strange sight, considering he hasn't worn them for a while. He needs to more often, they suit him.

"Thanks, man. 'Missing you out there."

"You were great." His hand stretched to pat my shoulder.

"Thank you." I quickly lent into his embrace. "I better go get my stuff, see you later."

"Bye, Harp." Red smiled, flashing his pearly white teeth.

"Congrats again, Ricky."

I'm not avoiding James, per se, I'm just giving him space. I've kinda hogged him to myself since he's been home, and he has family and other friends too that want to see him. Plus, the momentary feeling in my lower stomach that visited me at the carnival hasn't left yet, and I was reminded of that when I opened Snapchat this morning.