45

December 22nd📍School Gym Hall

December 22nd
📍School Gym Hall

- Harper -

"Are you okay, babe?" Lexi placed her hand on my lap, pulling me back to reality.

"Yes, sorry." I clicked back into place, melting into my chair. I've been so absentminded tonight. I could feel Red's arm behind my neck, and suddenly I was hyperaware of my situation. "Lexi- the crown and tiara!" I finally remembered what was missing.

"We sorted it, remember? Serena is crowning them."

"Oh, yeah." I recalled that conversation. The feeling like I'm missing something was still immense.

Red's hand rested on my shoulder, and he gave it a reassuring squeeze. "Wanna dance?"

"Sure." I looked around one last time for Ruth and Ella. Still, no sign. "Let's go."

Red's hands rested on my waist while mine hooked over his shoulders. We swayed slowly to the music, alone yet surrounded by the other bodies in the crowd. We stared and smiled but I felt so lost. Red leant closer, moving his mouth to my ear. "Stop stressing about the girls, I'm sure they're on their way."

I nodded with a smile, still worried something bad had happened. The tempo of the song sped up, and his soft smirk turned into a white smile. "Come on, Harpy, dance with me."

And I did. The sways turned into wiggles and I found myself giggling and letting loose with him, dancing around in slow circles.

Red pulled me closer, lowering himself so I can hear over the music. "Tonight is great, your work is done, please, relax."

I didn't reply, only nodding, staring up at the way his eyes glisten in the lights. "You look beautiful." He told me again, his hands caressing the crease of my waist.

"Thank you." I grinned, never dulling my reaction. It's hard to contain my genuine feelings - I have a very expressive face.

It felt surreal - dancing in a 'winter wonderland' with Ricky. I feel like a princess in this dress, and he makes me feel good about myself too.

Am I going to kiss him tonight? Are we going to progress as more than tutor and tutee? Or will the clock strike twelve and I'll go back to being his nerdy little friend?

"What's going on in that mind, Harper?" Red pulled me from my trance.

"You." I admit.

"Oh yeah? What about me?"

I barely got to open my mouth before my phone beeped in my pocket. Once. Twice. Three times.
"Sorry, one sec." I dropped my hands from his shoulders, reaching into my amazing dress pockets.

Ruth <3
*Harper! Are you here?*
*emergency!*
*meet me in the science lab ASAP!*

"Shit!" I cursed out loud. "I have to go- I'll be right back- I'm so sorry."

"Don't apologise, busy woman. Go save the world." He winked. "I'll go check Lexi and Wes haven't killed each other."

"Thank you." I smiled with a sigh, already picking up my dress.

My feet paced out of the room and into the hallway. "Ruth?" I called, even though I was still so far from the lab. "Ella?"

I click-clacked my way down the halls, scanning every room regardless of my destination. My heart rushed with panic while my head was just glad to know she was here. Maybe she ripped or spilled something on her dress?

"Ruth?" I called again as I reached the classroom. "Ruth-"

I froze in the doorway, staring at the man in the black and white suit with the red mask. "How did you-"
"Get here before me?" I was about to ask my date, until I noticed the difference in build as an arm reached to remove his mask.

Oh, shit.

"James?" My voice cracked.

"Hey, Little H." He drawled, leaning back against a desk. He looked tired- probably jet lagged. "Surprise!" He smirked, though his voice came out dull.

"Oh my god. Hey." I sighed. With the exhale I felt the sinking feeling of forgetfulness be replaced with guilt. "You're early." I closed the door behind me, slowing stepping forward.

I don't know why I was treading with caution. I don't know why I'm not in his arms hugging him yet. I don't know why we're still stood a metre apart, staring aimlessly.

"I wanted to surprise you." I watched the way his featured moved in the dimly lit room. It's getting late now, with only streetlights and the moon outside the brighten the winter night. He looks different, but similar at the same time.

"Consider me surprised." I giggled falsely.

"I knew it was a bad idea- I tried to leave early but Ruth caught me so..."

"No, I'm glad you're here, I just-"
The sentence ran flat, ending somewhere between the two of us.

"Are you having a good night?" He asked, leaning forward slightly. That's when I realised he was drunk.

"Um, yeah. Why have you been drinking, Jamie?" My voice grew softer. "Why are you home early, is everything okay?"

"God, I'm like twelve hours early, Jesus."
I hated his tone. In moods like these he's sounds less like my best friend and more like a man.
"I flew in early, wanted to see you. Sorry I interrupted your time with your boyfriend. I'll be on my way." He pushed off the table in a staggered manner.

"Excuse me?" I crossed my arms, stepping in front of him so he couldn't leave. "You cannot be serious right now."

"Why?"

"You just turned up at my ball, upending my night, so I'm sorry if my reaction isn't what you expected. To make matters worse you're drunk and won't even tell me why. So yeah, I'm sorry I'm not 'bubbly little H' right now." I stepped forward with my words, ending up right under his nose, exhaling on him with every angry word.

"I missed you." He exhaled down onto my face. His eyes closed as I smelt the liquor on his breath. I hated that he was drinking, so I focused on his aftershave instead, focusing on the James I know. "I missed Harper."

"Why were you drinking?"

"We used to go to these things together." He finally opened his eyes to look at me. "And while I'm counting down my days and coming home early, you've already found someone else to wear a red mask." His right arm holding his mask lifted in disappointment.

My heart cracked a tiny bit, so I did all I could do. I wrapped my arms around his waist and hugged myself into his chest. "I missed you too."

I couldn't help but feel the difference between us, and with every squeeze of our bodies together I tried to hold onto what we had.

But once his arms wrapped around me too I knew everything has changed.

💋
Hoping to keep you guys updated
Why was this so hard to write?? Writers block is kicking my ass