Chapter 25

While Simon and Jace are in the kitchen with me, the kids have disappeared upstairs.
"The last time I was here was when I was a vampire," Simon says absentmindedly. He and Jace are sitting at the kitchen table and are supposed to be setting the table while I cook.
"Don't remind me," says my husband.
"If the two of you don't stop arguing, then I'll witch you both to each other with a rune you don't know and won't set you free until you're in agreement," I say, my back to them.
"We're not arguing, I want to convince your husband of his opinion," says my old friend.
"But that can also backfire," I say. I stir the pot and the wooden spoon rattles lightly on the edge of the pot. While I let it simmer in front of me, I sit down with the two of them and set the table.
"Can you help?" Jace asks, knowing I'm done. I smile at him. "No thanks. I'm done." With the beeping, I get the pot off the stove.
"Children's meal is ready. Are you coming?" I call upstairs. Less than two minutes later, all four are sitting at the dining table. Typical.
"What's for dinner?"
"Well, that's clear. That's what mum always makes for dinner," replies Janik. He looks at his cousin with amusement.
"Oh no, here we go again." moans Maria.
"Tomorrow we'll leave pretty early," says my husband. The children look at him questioningly.
"Why should we get up so early?"
"Because we have a lot planned for tomorrow and we're going to use as much time as we can get. The sooner we find the girls, the better," explains Simon.
"I don't know how much longer I can put off my children," Simon says a little later. The three of us are sitting in the living room and drinking some wine. Although the two of us are drinking alone and I'm just sitting next to them.
"Mhhh?" I do. I lean up slightly to get a better view of him. The whole time Jace's hand is caressing my waist.
"I mean, how long is this supposed to go on. I..." He doesn't get any further. Because at that moment another doorbell rings.
"I'm going," says Jace. But my gut tells me I should head for the door.
"Leave it alone. I'm going. Besides, I would have to let you through first," I say. While I'm still talking, the doorbell rings again.
"Yeah, I'm coming." I call and open the door.
"Hi Clary, can I talk to you?" He looks at me warily. I turn in the door and look into the living room. Jace and Simon are deep in conversation about the best ways to kill demons.
"All right, but let's stay outside," I say. He follows me into the small back garden. As soon as we're out of earshot, I glare at him.
"Why do you keep appearing and disappearing a second later? What did you want in the house?"
"You mean what you were doing there," he corrects me.
"I do not believe it. How long have you been like this? And besides, why are you following me?"
"Am I doing that?" he replies with a counter question. How I hate it when he does that.
"Where are they?"
"Where's who?"
"Izzy, Catarina and Daphne. A shadowhunter and two witches? One has blue skin." I describe her.
"And you want me to know who they are?" I glare at him.
"Why am I not surprised?"
"What doesn't surprise you?"
"Once again it was clear that you had to play this little game."
"What game?"
"Exactly, that's what I mean. Whenever I ask you a question, you answer with a question." I explain.
"What makes you think so?" I don't answer, just stare at him silently.
"Okay you won."
"Listen, I don't know what you want, but I don't have enough time. In fact, I don't have any time at all. So, what do you want?"
"I might know where the three of them are. But we shouldn't discuss that here," he says. I look at him annoyed.
"Are you serious? You dive with me only to tell me you can't tell me."
"Clary...I..."
"Don't say anything you don't mean!" I interrupt him. For a moment he seems totally thrown.
"Clary, I'm really sorry. But it was a mistake on my part to come here." Now I'm the one looking puzzled. A smile immediately creeps onto his face, but it fades as soon as he notices my expression.
"Sorry," he mumbles immediately. I don't say anything. I just look back at the house.
"You really should go now," I tell him. Before I can explain, I hear Simon's and Jace's footsteps. "I'm about to turn around and warn him. But this time, too, he's been swallowed up by the earth. Confused, I turn around and see two confused faces, too.
"You were suddenly and..." Jace begins. But Simon cuts him off.
"...and we were worried about you..."
"Then it's nice that you checked in on me now and not in half an hour," I say sarcastically. However, I didn't want to overdo it.
"It's getting late, let's go to bed," says Jace. We go into the house in agreement.
"What are you really thinking?" I ask Jace. He frowns at me.
"I think there's more to it than we're realizing," he says slowly. I look at him.
"So you're saying there's probably more to it than just a benign kidnapping?"
"I didn't mean it that way, but in reverse you're right."
"And what are we doing now?"
"In any case, we should visit the two houses again tomorrow."
"Maybe I should stay here and take care of the kids."