Chapter 17

We have split up and each is looking in one of the four cardinal directions. Although Isabelle initially voted against Daphne's proposal, she then decided to split it up. I'm headed north. Izzy to the south, Daphne to the west, and Catarina to the east. I can see the council building from here. Although it has been at least 10 years since Sebastian's defeat, there are still some roads with large potholes left. There is still scaffolding on many houses to compensate for the damage caused. I have to climb over a large pile of stones to be able to go further. I almost slipped, but I just managed to catch myself. I look around in surprise. There is debris and other things lying around everywhere. I walk on cautiously. What strikes me is that this part of Alicante wasn't repaired at all after the war. There are even some used weapons lying around here. Even sometimes a few corpses. I kneel in the dirt and take a closer look at the dead man. Something tells me that something is very wrong here. I can almost feel the danger lurking at the back of my neck. That's why I can't resist turning around. Although that's nonsense. Because there is not a soul on the road here and I am completely alone here.
"Great! Why did I even suggest coming here?" I mumble to myself. As soon as I've finished my words, I notice something out of the corner of my eye. A movement! I silently draw my stele and draw a rune that I invented with mine Gabe. I can say whatever I want about Valentine, but thanks to him I have skills that others don't have. After I finish painting the rune, I draw a seraph blade. As I wave the seraph blade in my hand ready for battle, my Parabatai rune flashes .A second later I sense Izzy.We both performed the ceremony after the war.The Parabatai Rune allows us to sense the other when he is in danger and needs help.I don't care if Iz now senses that I need help or not. I let my gaze wander attentively. Something stirs in the shadows. As quietly as possible on the rubble and ash, I sneak up. But the stranger has noticed me and flees. Without thinking twice, I follow the person. The stranger doesn't seem to be from here. He wanders through several streets and ends up in a dead end several times. I have several chances to reach him, but I make him feel safe. Which is why I don't attack him directly when he moves towards the tree line. I wait behind a tree to see what he does next. He seems really safe. I look away for a moment because I got distracted. When I look back, however, I notice with horror that he has disappeared. Suddenly I notice footsteps behind. I want to turn around, but someone presses something cold against my throat. Probably a dagger or a sword.
"Don't turn around," says the stranger. Somehow this voice sounds familiar to me. But I can't place it.
"If you fight back, little Nephilim. Or do you want to end your life unnecessarily early?" he asks, pushing his leg behind my back.
"What do you want?" he asks me. I don't say anything. I don't know why, but I feel like it's the right thing to do. Without warning, I spin around, my hood slipping off my head and my red hair coming out My counterpart is completely thrown for a few moments.
"C-Clary?" How does he know me? And why don't I recognize him? Nodding cautiously, I look at him closely. He has blonde hair, dyed black, and black-green eyes. Something inside me is screaming that I know him. But where from? Like me, he's wearing black combat gear. He's also armed. Probably also to the teeth. I study him.
"Clary, aren't you making me up?" he asks. I shake my head. But then I stop mid-movement. And suddenly it occurs to me. Of course I know him and he knows me.