Chapter 20

Two days before:

As I make my way back, I try to organize my thoughts. I'm pretty confused about the last two hours. I negotiate the last bend and can already see the other two waiting from afar. Whatever the reason, Catarina is missing. With rattling breaths, come to a halt in front of Daphne and Izzy.
"What happened to you?" my adoptive sister-in-law asks.
"I..." I have to catch my breath first to be able to breathe better.
"Did you run all the way?" Daphne asks. All I can do is nod silently.
"Why did you run?" asks Iz. While I'm talking about my experience in the forest, I paint the Iratze. Immediately I can breathe better and talk again. However, I keep my encounter with the stranger secret.
"Why didn't you let me know?", it comes already reproachfully.
"Because there's no network for calling or texting here," I reply. Idris is really great, but the council needs some help as far as communication goes.
"That's true though. Why haven't they managed to get us to have a working network yet?"
"Because the Council doesn't think we need it," says Daphne.
"I think the Council assumes that we can all send a message of fire by mastering the ability," I say. They both look at me. And I immediately regret my comment.
"And why can't you send a message of fire?" Izzy promptly asks. I shrug. I'm about to answer when Catarina walks towards us.
"What's the matter with her?" we all three ask in unison.
"I have bad news!"
"What is it?" Daphne asks while Izzy asks, "Now do we have to pull worms out of your nose one by one!?" I hold back.
"Let's get out of here right now!" the blue witch simply says. I can see a flash of concern in her eyes.
"Why should we? This is our home!"
"True Isabelle, but do you want to live in a dictatorship and be punished for disobeying orders?"
"What do you mean by dictatorship?" I ask cautiously.
"The council no longer exists!" Seeing our blank looks, she adds, "The council was murdered. None left. We have to get out of here before the curfew is imposed."
"Who should impose it?"
"Some group of shadowhunters seem to be committed to the law."
"And what are we doing now?"
"Simon was right. Maybe I really should have stayed at home!" she mumbles. I look at her indignantly.
"What is?"
"Since when does Isabelle Maria give up on Lightwood Lewis?"
"Very funny!"
"I thought you were the heartbreaker!" I defend myself.
"But we can't leave our homeland after x generations." I change the subject. The three look at me. We can communicate without words.
"Maybe we should think about it tomorrow. Because it's late and..."