Focus, he told himself, watching her like a hawk.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" She eyed him curiously.

There was wariness in her eyes.

"I find it strange that you only ask about his well-being...not of the others."

"It is common knowledge...I am here because of my children." She waved a hand nonchalantly, in a dismissive gesture.

She was right...and there was no point pursuing this angle. But Lan Zhan had to get her to admit her role in the treason of Lotus Cove.

"Every clan has its own defense against attack...I am curious about yours." He said firmly, seeing her eyes widen fractionally before her expression cleared.

She arched her brow.

"Pray tell, what exactly do you know about Lotus Cove and its protection?" Her voice slithered into his ears, slimy and cold.

So Lan Zhan decided to tell the truth.

His clan was built on that rock, the ideal that truth would always be victorious.

"Wei Changze said Lotus Cove has a Shield Dome. I want to know why it was not deployed?"

"And who are you to question our defenses?" She retorted, scornfully.

"The fact that Lotus Cove was so easily overcome is a concern for all, is it not?" Lan Zhan had a brilliant idea. And he decided to go for it. "If the Jiangs need assistance from the other sects to protect themselves because they are incapable, then it is my job to report back to my clan and inform them that Lotus Cove is a liability."

Zidian flew out from her wrist faster than a bolt of lightning and to Lan Zhan's credit, he did not flinch.

Madam Yu was livid.

Only at the last second did she pull back, and Zidian just missed singeing Lan Zhan's robes; and he was glad he was not wearing the whites of his Sect now.

And Lan Zhan had discovered quite unintentionally, the way to get Madam Yu to admit to her wrongdoing.

Anger.

It was going to make her trip up.

"A liability?" She hissed, standing up.

Madam Yu was tall, taller than an average woman, and...there was nothing average about her. Their eyes were level now and Lan Zhan suspected her boots had heels...but there was no way he was looking away from her now.

"Indeed. It is worrying." He carried on, imagining Wei Ying's face when he told him what Lan Zhan had said to her face.

He'd practically called them inept chickens.

The scorn was not lost on Madam Yu.

"Our defense system is unique and efficient. We do not need anyone's assistance." Madam Yu snapped.

JinZhu and YinZhu subtly stepped forward, their faces remaining impassive.

"Then how do you explain the ease with which the Wens were able to enter? And in such high numbers too....it begs the question, did they really sneak in...or, were they let in?"

The nearest chair next to Madam Yu got the brunt of her fury. Zidian whipped out, blasting that piece of furniture and making it only suitable for firewood now.

"I will investigate that line of inquiry. The Wens are capable of all types of deceit and it is good that you have drawn my attention to it. I will question those responsible." She vowed, much calmer now after the release of her emotions.