46

TRIGGER WARNING: car accident (real-life event).

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Out of respect for Anthoine Hubert, I will not be writing about his accident in Spa 2019. The accident is, however, included in the storyline. It's just not specifically mentioned or discussed in detail. May he rest in peace.

Sophia's POV.

Your mind was telling you one thing but your heart was telling you something else. And you've always been one to follow your heart over your head.

That's exactly why you're in a car on your way to Belgium right now.

When Seb confirmed what had happened, both you and Holly felt the need to go there immediately. When something like that happens, it's a reminder for everyone that even though the sport has gotten so much safer, all the drivers still face that small chance of losing their lifes every time they put themselves out there.

Whilst this is already hard on you as family members, it's even more difficult for the drivers themselves. They still need to drive. They still need to be able to ignore that fear and push their car to the limit. And when something like that happens, it takes a lot of strength to do so.

That's why you and Holly felt the need to go to Spa as quickly as possible. Mia and Emma are with you as well but they're asleep in the backseat. You just want to be there with Seb, and for Seb.

But you know someone else is going to be there too. You can't even imagine how he's feeling right now. Just the thought of him being upset makes you want to vomit.

Charles was friends with him. You didn't know him personally but you know they were friends.

When Seb broke the news, you can't deny that your thoughts immediately went to Charles. You're still so angry and disappointed with everything that happened but right now you truly feel sorry for him.

You have no idea what you're going to do. You know you'll see Charles. You know you can't ignore him under these circumstances. But you're not ready to talk to him yet.

You sigh deeply. It's all just making you very nervous.

Suddenly you feel a hand on your bouncing knee.

"It's going to be okay Soph. Just relax," Holly tells you and you her give a small smile.

"I know... I know...," you tell her softly.

You don't even believe it yourself.

"Are you nervous about seeing Charles?" she asks you directly.

Somehow she always knows exactly what's on your mind.

"Yeah... very much so," you whisper and sigh as you look out of the window.

You might as well be honest at this point.

"Soph... I don't know what happened between the two of you and I don't need to know but I do want to say that if you truly love him, you shouldn't give up too easily."

You roll your eyes. She doesn't have a clue.

"You don't know what happened Holly. He said some pretty shitty things to me."

Holly nods.

"You're right Sophia. I don't know what he said, or what he's done. But I do know one thing. And I know you're not going to believe me right now but I'm still telling you."

She takes a small pause.

"This boy loves you so, so much Soph. He looks at you like you're the only thing existing in this world. Whatever he's done, it must have been out of love in some way."