88| Not Family

It was silent in the hospital room, save for the sounds of Garth retching behind the closed bathroom door.

"Where are Maddie and Zep?" I asked, in an attempt to fill the awkward silence.

"At a friends' house back in Lebanon."

I nodded, chewing my lip.

"Anything on Gadreel?"

"Actually, uh, yeah," Sam said. "Turns out, he, uh, he left some grace in me before he bolted."

"You know how wrong that sounds, right?"

"Wouldn't worry about it. Cass took care of it."

"Hmm," I hummed as there was more retching and coughing from the bathroom.

"Just breathe, Garth! Work it out," Dean called, then nodded to my arm. "What happened to your arm?"

I looked down, realizing part of the Mark was visible.

"Oh. It's a..." I pulled my sleeve up so they could see it better, "gift from Cain."

"Like... the wrestler?"

"You wish," I scoffed, looking over at my husband. "Uh, no. The uh... the Old Testament dude."

The toilet flushed as I continued.

"He got all biblical on me and gave me his Mark."

"What does that even mean?" Sam asked curiously. "How- how did that happen?"

"Crowley and I found him, and he gave me this so I could eighty-six Abaddon once and for all."

"You worked a job with Crowley?" Dean demanded.

"The devil you know..." I trailed off, realizing it was way too quiet in the bathroom. "Garth?"

"What?" Dean asked.

We all rushed over, flinging the door open to reveal an empty bathroom with the window open.

"Son of a bitch," Dean swore.

We hurried out of the room, heading outside as we searched for any sign of Garth.

"Why would Garth run from us?" I asked.

"Why haven't we heard from him in the last six months?" Sam added. "Did you test him?"

"He was unconscious. No, I- he steal a car?"

Dean noticed a pair of boxers on the ground.

"Did he... steal a car naked?"

I nudged his arm with my shoulder, pointing at the roof.

"I'll see what I can find on those cameras. Why don't you and Sam go talk to farmer Brown, see about that cow."

"Yeah," he eyed me skeptically, but agreed.

I headed back inside the hospital while they left, and headed up the the receptionist.

"Hey, sorry, but I was wondering if I could get access to the security footage outside."

"Sure thing, Agent. One sec."

Twenty minutes later, I was leaving the hospital with several photos taken from the security cameras as my phone rang.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"So, the cow wasn't just killed. It was eviscerated," Dean informed me.

"Well, why was Garth there?"

"He said he was on a hunt, right? Maybe he was hunting whatever killed it."

"Why would he run? The whole thing's starting to stink. You know that, right?"