31| Plan A

Dean and I set off the metal detectors at the warehouse where the auction was being held.

"Now, now, Dean, Ecclesia," Beau said. "The system only works when everyone participates."

Dean and I exchanged a look, but gave in, turning in all our concealed weapons to a box one of the guards was holding.

"I'm coming back for this," Dean promised, placing Ruby's demon-killing knife in the box last.

"Ah, ah. All of them, Ecclesia," Beau stopped me as I tried to move further into the building.

"Call me that one more time, I dare you," I growled.

"Ellie," Sam called over, giving me a pointed look.

I rolled my eyes, leaning down and pulling a small pistol from one of my boots and placing it reluctantly in the box with everything else. Beau let us past then, and we joined the other auction attendees looking at the items on display in glass cases. There was a sword, a manuscript, and what looked like Thor's hammer among other things.

"How the hell are we supposed to know who's who?" Dean grumbled.

"It's pretty simple, Dean," Sam replied. "They're all monsters."

"Hey, hey."

We walked over to one particular case Dean had found that contained the tablet. The problem was, it had been covered with a piece of metal so it couldn't be read.

"Great."

"I guess we're not as original as we thought," Kevin said.

"It's okay. It's okay," Sam assured us. "We just have to come up with a plan B."

"And what, pray tell, could possibly have been plan A?" a familiar English accented voice asked behind us. "Bring the Prophet to the most dangerous place on Earth, memorize the tablet, then vamoose? Hello, boys. Puppy."

"Crowley," Dean growled.

"Kevin, what a pleasure to see you," Crowley smirked at the Prophet. "Sorry about your playdate. Her name? Ah. Well, if you're gonna make an omelet, sometimes you have to break some spines. And who is this lovely thing? Must be your sister."

Mrs. Tran slapped Crowley across the face and Dean and my jaws both dropped.

"Ah!" the demon king cried out.

"Stay away from my son," Mrs. Tran spat.

"Charming. Defiling her corpse has just made number one on my to-do list."

Dean took a step forward and Sam moved to stop him.

"Unh, unh, unh, unh. Don't mind a little love tap, but anything more, and our mookie pals here may just throw you out, and that would be a shame," Crowley taunted.

"He's right, Dean," Sam said. "It's not worth it."

"Listen to Moose, Squirrel. You too, Puppy."

I bit my tongue, forcing myself to stay put as a bald man entered the room.

"Ah. Here comes our host," Crowley said.

"Honored guests, please take your seats."

"That's Plutus?" Dean eyed the host. "What is he, God of the candy aisle?"

"Gentlemen, the auction is starting," Beau informed us.

"Good luck with the bidding," Crowley told us, walking off.

"Nice right hook," Sam told Mrs. Tran as we moved toward some seats.

"Dean Winchester? Eleanor Dawson?" a young man in a fast food employee's uniform came up to me and Dean.