65| Meg-stiel

When we got to the motel, Cass had already killed the two demons who had been guarding Crowley's hostage.

"Thanks for waiting," Sam bit out sarcastically.

"The hostage is in there," Cass nodded to a closed door.

Dean crossed over, opening it to reveal Meg with long, ratty blonde hair and a bruised, bloody face, tied up and sitting on the floor.

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" she quipped.

Rolling his eyes, Dean walked over and took out his knife, cutting her out of her restraints.

"So, I got to ask," he said once she was seated on the bed. "Um... what's up the hair?"

I rolled my eyes from my my place leaning by against the wall by the door with my arms folded over my chest. Sam and Dean were seated in chairs at the foot of the bed and Cass stood in a similar stance as me, except with his back to the window.

"What?" Dean asked when he saw Sam's expression.

"Aww," Meg cooed. "Thanks for noticing, Dean. But this wasn't my idea. It was Crowley's. And it's just another reason I want to stab him in the face."

"Wait a second," Sam interjected. "You've been telling Crowley the location of Lucifer's crypts."

"What can I say? I needed a break from the constant torture. And I did visit them all during my time with Yellow Eyes," the demon said and I shuddered slightly. "But don't worry. I haven't exactly been giving them the Glengarry leads."

"You mean you've been lying to them," Cass translated.

"I just get them in the ballpark. Enough time's passed and enough's changed that they bought it."

"Why lie?" I asked.

"Buy myself some time, dummy. Try to find a way to get free."

"Wait- so..." Sam trailed off for a moment. "A bunch of innocent people died so you could... buy yourself some time?"

"Hi. I'm Meg. I'm a demon."

"So, what have they found?" Cass asked.

"Bupkis. Every crypt's been one Al Capone's vault after another. On top of that, someone kept picking up the trail and icing demons. I'm guessing that was you, Castiel. But Crowley just keeps sending more. He's hell bent on..."

I sensed another time lag and glared over at Cass as Meg continued.

"...finding that angel tablet."

"Wait a second," Sam knit his eyebrows together. "Did you just say 'angel tablet'?"

"You know, I get why Crowley calls you 'Moose' now," Meg smirked. "Yes- 'angel tablet'. Crowley found out Lucifer had it, figures it's stashed in a crypt."

"Well, this is news to me, as well," Cass lied. "Demons I interrogated, they must have been lying about their true intentions."

"Really?" I quirked an eyebrow. "'Cause I saw you 'Zero Dark Thirty' that demon. You were pretty persuasive."

"You're both missing the point," Meg interrupted. "I lied to them, which means they're digging in the wrong place. But not for long. They'll be back here soon. So, who's up for fleeing?"

"She's right," Sam pointed out. "We need to find those crypts before they do. Meg, you're the only one who's been there."

"We need your help," Dean added.

"Any of you dummies got a map?"

After Sam, Dean and I changed from our FBI gear into more comfortable clothes, we headed back to the Morton house to let Meg see the scale model of the town in the basement.

"There," Meg pointed to a spot on the model. "That's where the crypt was."

"What's there now?" I asked.

"Do I look like Google to you?" the demon quipped. "None of these buildings were here way back in the day. Figure it out, genius. Is there any booze in this dump?"

She headed back up the stairs to join Cass, leaving the three of us in the basement.

"He lied to us," Dean said when we heard the door shut.

"Yeah, maybe," Sam agreed, sitting at a nearby table and getting out his laptop. "I can kind of understand why. I mean, an angel tablet? If the demon tablet can shut the Gates of Hell, what can the angel tablet do?"

"He's communicating with Naomi," I said.

"What?"

"I think he's communicating with Naomi. There are these time lags, barely imperceptible to humans. I think when it happens, he's communicating with Naomi."

"Wait, but you notice them?"

"I think it's because of my powers," I shrugged. "I can't hear what he's saying to her, but I notice time slow down for a second."

"Here goes," Sam announced, highlighting a section of a street map on his computer and superimposing it to satellite view of the area. "Alright. According to this, the crypt has to be below an abandoned building."

"Good times," Dean sighed. "You really think we can trust, uh, Meg-stiel?"

"No," I shook my head. "But what choice do we have?"

 ⁘

"So, this is it," Meg said when we got to the alley outside the abandoned warehouse. "Basement?"

"Alright," Dean nodded, "Cass, Ellie and I will head in and get our Indiana Jones on. Sam, you stay outside with Meg."

"What?" Sam demanded.

"We got this."

"What are you talking about, Dean? I'm not letting you go in there alone."

"He won't be alone," Cass and I chorused.

"That's not what I mean," Sam dismissed us. "Meg can hang here, watch our backs."

"Oh, what? Now you trust Meg?"

"Hey, I got you this far."

"Shut up," Dean snapped at her.

"Shut up, Meg," Sam echoed. "Dean-"

"Sam, Ellie and I saw your bloody rag in the trash can, okay?"

"That wasn't-"

"Stop," Dean cut him off once more. "Just stop. Sam, we don't know what's in there, okay? And you almost let a demon get the best of you back there."

"I'm fine," Sam insisted.

"No, you're not fine," I chimed in. "You haven't been fine since the first trial. That's why I called Cass."

"Trial?" Meg asked curiously.

"Shut up, Meg!" the three of us chorused.

"Dean, Ellie, I'm telling you- I'm okay," Sam tried assuring us.

"No, you're not," Cass said. "Sam... you're damaged in ways even I can't heal. Dean and Eleanor are right. You should stay here and protect Meg."

"Since when do I need protecting?"

"Since you were held captive and tortured for over a year."

"Touché."

"Alright, we'll be back," Dean said.

Cass walked toward the building and I followed him. After leaving the demon-killing knife with Sam, Dean brought up the rear.