Chapter 20

Toby's POV

After school, Ethan and I drove the 20 minutes to the craft store. There were plenty in town, but I didn't like any of those. I pulled into "Craftastic" parking lot and parked my car.

"What even is this place?" Ethan asked as we got out.

"A craft store. My mother would go here when she needed paint or something. The owner knows me so I get a discount" I said walking into the tiny store.

"Tabitha?" a sweet voice asked. I noticed Ethan trying to hide a laugh. I elbowed him in the ribs.

"Hi, Linda." I said giving her a hug.

"You're so grown up now!" She beamed. "Just look at you. Oh, and this must be your boyfriend." She said looking at Ethan.

"Yes, that's Ethan."

"Tabitha, oh I missed you." She said giving me another hug. "I haven't seen your mother around for weeks." she said as she pulled away.

"I haven't seen her in years." I joked, but Linda didn't get it.

"Well, what do you need?" she asked.

"I need fabric and some thread. I will also need face paint and fabric paint. And do have a red hair wing?"

"Actually I got wigs in this year for Halloween." Linda said as she pushed pass some boxes of wooden crafts. We followed her to the back of the store. "Here." She said as she handed me a red wig. "Now, what colors of fabric do you need?"

"I need blue, yellow, red, and black."

"Ok." She said as she went into the back to cut the fabric. Ethan picked up a mask and put it against his face. I laughed at the sight of a turtle Ethan.

"You do know it's a turtle mask and not a scary one, right?" I said as I calmed down.

"I do now." He said as he put it back into the box.

"Here you go." Linda said as she handed me the fabric. "I have the thread up front. Little kids learn how to open things." She said as she went behind the counter. She slipped the fabric, wig, and thread into a brown paper bag.

"How much?"

"Nothing, it's on the house." She declared.

"Linda, I can pay for it. The family that adopted me has plenty of money."

"I know, but I want to give it to you." Linda smiled. "If only your mom was here to see how grown up you are."

"You haven't heard anything from her?"

"Not since the last time she was here."

"Ok, I will have to stop by again some day."

"Alright, take care." She said as Ethan and I walked out.

"Your name is Tabitha?" He asked as he pulled the seat belt over him.

"Yeah, Tabitha Theodore. But I always went by Toby." I said putting the stuff in the back.

"What happened to the Theodore part?"

"Donna and Michael changed it when they adopted me." I put the car into reverse. I looked out the rear view mirror and stopped when I saw a lady walking behind my car. She walked up next to me and I froze when I saw her sunken in eye; it looked like she hadn't slept in days. She also looked frazzled with her hair pulled into a messy bun and thin pieces falling out. She was also way to skinny to be healthy.

"Do you happen to have any change?" She asked politely through my open window.

"She probably needs it for drugs." Ethan whispered into my ear. I didn't think that's why she needed it, she looked like she needed it more for food.