Chapter 19

Toby's POV

"Sit in here." My mother said as she pointed to an empty cabinet. I climbed in looking at my mother's dark brown hair as it fell into wisps around her heart-shaped face. She had on a loose t-shirt and a pair of ripped jeans. They were covered in paint, since she was an artist. "Don't make a sound." She said as she closed the door and left me there in the dark. I held my baby doll closer to me.

"Ma'am is Tabitha Theodore here?" A man's voice asked my mother. I wrinkled my nose at the sound of my full name. I  preferred Toby.

"Uh, n-no. She is at her, her grandma's." My mother stammered.

"Are you sure? May we have a look around?" he asked as I heard his heavy boots creaked on our weak floor.

"S-sure." My mother said as he and another person walked into the house. It was a small house. Only one floor and had one bathroom and bedroom. I slept with my mother. I wish I was sleeping right now.

"Any sight of the child, Jane?"

"No, Arnold." Jane replied.

"Well, as you can see, Toby isn't here" my mother added trying to get the people to leave.

"Abigail, just tell us where she is. It is in Tabitha's best interest and you very well know it." Jane told my mother matter-of-factly. My mother shrunk back in the corner.

"Mama." My doll chimed in.

"Shh." I scolded her. Then I heard the footsteps coming to the cabinet. I tried to move into the back so they couldn't see me, but the cans of food blocked my way. Arnold opened the cabinet door, the bright light stinging my eyes.

"Jane, found her!" He called as he pulled me out. "Are you hurt?" he asked looking at me with brown eyes.

"Mommy!" I called running to her.

"Come here." She said as she wrapped her warm arms around me. I smelled her comforting perfume.

"Give us the child, Abigail." Jane said as she opened her arms.

"No." My mother said as she hugged me tighter.

"Abigail, you are not fit to take care of Toby anymore." Jane explained. I hated these people. I was perfectly fine with my mommy. I felt someone else's arms around me and the yanked me away from my mom.

"Mommy!" I scream trying to hold onto her hand. "Mommy, save me!" I hollered as I kicked Arnold.

"Give her back. Give me my angel back, you motherfuckers!" She said as she hit Arnold repeatedly. Jane grabbed my mother and held her back as Arnold carried me out.

"No!" I cried. "I want my mommy!"

"I want my mommy!" I screamed as I sat up in bed. I realized it was just a dream and I raked a hand through my hair. I looked at the time and saw I had only half and hour before I had to get up so I decided to text Ethan to see if he was awake.

Toby: Hey, u up? [3 minutes later]

Ethan: Yeah, y r u?

Toby: bad dream :(

Ethan: Wanna talk about it?

Toby: Nah, y u up?

Ethan: Couldn't sleep

Toby:Why?

Ethan: Idk X(

Toby: Aw, poor baby cant sleep