Chapter 38 - Good or Bad News

Liquor and weed

Liquor and weed.

The two substances that were keeping me from crumbling in the very chair beneath me.

After the events that unfolded in the last twenty-four hours, I have been doing not one productive thing an heir should do. Instead, I sat quietly in my pools of hatred and sorrow. Hatred for the simple fact that I brought her into this life, a life she could have avoided if it weren't for me. And sorrow because the woman I finally realized my heart pounded for, was on a hospital bed dying.

My stubborn self refused to leave her side from the soon-to-be morning, morning, and now, which was somewhere in the late afternoon. But that's what any good man would do for you, stay despite how long it takes. The doctor came in from time to time to check on Clara's health or fix the oxygen mask occupying her beautiful face. I'm not going to hesitate or lie though, his presence seemed to instantly bring back the moment I rushed her in here.

Her blood.

On my hands.

I placed the joint balancing itself in the middle of my fingers- between my lips. A puff of smoke was inhaled and exhaled into the air. I haven't gotten much from the updates the doctor gave me. They were all just ways to let me down and prove how useless this man can be.

Sadly, I did end up taking my anger out on him and threatening his life because of how slow the process was going. Now eventually, someone came in to stop me and pull my body away. That person was Dante who kept me company most of the day since Sage was in here healing. He wasn't here now, due to the doctor informing him that the redhead was soon to wake up, and feeling the urge to go buy her flowers.

He loved her, nobody notices it but he does. How do I know? Well, the grown man was sobbing the same way I did the second I carried her near the cells. No one saw and no one paid attention. Not that you could blame them with everything that unraveled like a tornado hitting a damn village.

He wasn't the only person to love a new addition to our Mafia. Christian was head over heels for Nova and he's done nothing except comfort her the past week. That sweet, kind-hearted man drove her around to get each other's minds off Sage's injury and Clara's betrayal. He even danced with her at night, the music being loud enough for the entire hall to hear. We didn't care though.

They needed a break from reality.

We all did.

Speaking of the others, when I was busy getting Ripley to the vehicle, they cleaned up every piece of evidence and disposed of every defeated body. Just like they promised. Most of the members survived the fight and went back to their lives after the war ended, but there was one person in particular who I knew couldn't do that.

Katalina.

My sister was scarred and traumatized from the experience she went through for days. Apparently, from what I was told by Noah, was that they starved her and threw her in a cold and empty room. The image made me want to kill the son of a hitch all over again, yet the death wouldn't change anything. The most I could do now is protect her better than I did before and be there for her when it's needed.