Chapter 19 - Alan

The person who wrote the note, the one who escaped, the leader of a powerful organization I still knew very little about, was Alan

Sage's brother, the guy I used to have a huge crush on during my freshmen year of college. Obviously, that came to an end the moment my mother died, the world carelessly ruining the image or idea of love in my head. Even as simple as the thought of being with someone or falling for them scared the shit out of me.

A lot.

I don't think I'll ever find a soulmate and that oddly felt okay with me. But that's beside the point and actually pretty fucking far from it since ALAN, my best friend's brother was a gang leader! I couldn't believe what I was seeing with my own two eyes.

"Fottuto inferno, Clara." Noah mumbled his first language and took the folder from me.

(Fucking hell.) - Italian Translation.

"What does that mean?" I crinkled my nose and eyebrows in wonder, now staring at him for taking the evidence out of my hands. He looked back at me and saw that I was genuinely confused, not thinking twice about his murmuring like I usually do.

"Thought you knew when I was cursing you out." The fluent man in front of me said with a smirk lingering across his face and dimple. My baffled look changed faster than imagined and turned into an expression of realization. Did he really think that was funny? Or better yet, cute? "I thought you weren't such an asshole but looks like we're both wrong."

Noah laughed at the attitude thrown at him.

"You're starting to wear off on me, darling."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Sadly I can't same the say about you."

He chuckled, took the little note from the case file, and tossed the folder on the table again. "Do you know anything about this?" His hand waved the paper around for me to acknowledge it.

I didn't want to lie, lying was for pathetic and stupid people. But when you lived in a mansion full of killers there was nothing else for you to do other than spit out false information. Plus, I couldn't uncover Alan's identity. He's sages family and most importantly a good person no matter what the idiot got involved in.

"No, and how do you expect me to when it barely even forms a sentence?" I claimed while trying my hardest to keep a solemn appearance. Noah peered at me for what I assumed was to see if I were telling the truth, locking contact.

Please say something...anything.

He stayed in that same position for another minute before sighing and handing the evidence back. Instant relief washed over me and my anxiousness as I gripped the note for succeeding in something I didn't expect to hide.