Chapter 22 - You Get Me

The next day had gushed right on in, exactly until six o'clock in the afternoon

The next day had gushed right on in, exactly until six o'clock in the afternoon. I was organizing and sorting a stack of files Christian had brought me for whenever I moved the paperwork into the interrogation room later.

His help was a little surprising and caught me off guard since Noah was always the one to do it, not Christian. But when I asked him, all he said is that his job as an assassin was back in play, along with Sage and Ivory so we would be seeing each other a lot more often. The change didn't affect me in the slightest, just as long as I was able to do my job without any problems we were good, however, some part of me felt sad to not see Noah's idiotic face anymore.

But at least he will be protecting Sage in case anything happens during their missions.

Onto her, we haven't spoken and neither have I with Nova. After yesterday's dinner which was full of stupid jokes and pointless data talk on Mr. Johnson, data I knew already, she up and vanished from everyone's peripheral vision. You could tell she was hurt by what Mr. Santoro shared with her, and if you knew Sage you would know that she's never cried over a male or ever been hurt by one. They were only toys to satisfy her pleasure or take away the daddy issues for a bit.

Dante, though?

He was something else to her.

The timer on my clock went off, letting me know that it was time for me to go to the interrogation room and do some work.

I cried inside, dreading the thought of working on Alan and his father's case again. I hated having to keep this secret from others and I hated the amount of pressure it gave me. Yet I couldn't bring myself to snitch on them when those two are my best friend's family, maybe not close family but they were her blood no matter what.

So lying it is.

Grabbing the files and placing the stack in separate folders, I clung the items between my side and my arm. Let's get this over with, the sooner the better. As I took one step, a sudden wave of heat pushed passed me. Dammit..the AC must be broken or getting fixed.

I walked over to the window and unlocked the bolt, opening it with my available hand. A small wind comes through and cools the outer layer of my body for a second, disappearing quickly after. As soon as the refreshing air turns mediocre an excruciating voice hits my eardrums.

"Why can't you spend time with me!?" Ivory shouted.

I set my head downwards and saw nobody talking on the ground. Where the fuck is she? Looking around for a moment to scout the premise, I continued to listen in on the conversation taking place somewhere near me.

"You wouldn't understand Ivory, since complicated isn't a word you seem to know," Mateo said almost calm-like, infuriating the platinum blonde next to him.

"Oh, I understand clearly." She lowered her tone and, to what I could hear, step closer to him. "But if you're gonna play me, at least have the decency to own up to the real reason instead of blaming everything on your dead mother!"