𝟏𝟏

𝑎𝑢𝑟𝑜𝑟𝑎'𝑠 𝑝𝑜𝑣

Iris had come home with us that evening. After the "encounter" that she and I had, she and Ariella lounged around my office until my work hours ended.

We'd all just entered home and I was currently hanging our coats on the coat rack. The front door closed softly behind me as I payed attention to Ariella's behavior.

Her mood was a tad better when she received her gift from Clara — the receptionist at my job that had taken a liking to Ariella the first time she met her. However, I still wanted to discuss everything with my daughter to ensure that she was all right.

"Princess?" I called out before she could run upstairs to her room.

Ariella turned to face Iris and I, tugging the doll that Clara had given her tightly to her chest. Her face wasn't as saddened, but I could still see that something was bothering her.

I tried my best to hide the frown that desperately wanted to appear on my face as I walked towards her, passing a photo of her pouring milk into a glass cup — which was gifted by Iris.

Once reaching my daughter, I picked her up and walked to the living room, taking note of Iris sliding into the kitchen. Ariella lied her head on my shoulder as we sat down on the couch.

"Talk to me, stellina." I encouraged her.

{stellina: little star }

Her small body began to shake slightly, causing me to pull her into a tight hug. The dress shirt that I wore slowly started to get soaked in what I believed to be her tears.

I could no longer hold back the frown on my face.

Cries and sniffles began to sound throughout the room, and all I could do was think about what could possibly upset Ariella this much.

Was it something at school?

Maybe something that I unintentionally did that upset her?

I sat with a thinking face, pondering on what could've upset my princess this way.

Eventually, I lifted her head off of my shoulder, using my thumbs to clear the tears from her soft cheeks.

When her face looked partially clean I softly smiled at her, laughing a little when seeing one light up her face.

"Are you ready to tell me what's wrong? Remember that I'm always hear to listen, and I love you no matter what."

My words seemed to help her gain some confidence to talk to me.

"Is . . . Is it wrong to have two moms?" she asked me in a whisper, twirling her thumbs.

I felt my eyebrows furrow, "What? Of course not. Why would you think that?" I spoke gently.

Her small hand came up to wipe a tear that was leaving her eye, "Today during Mrs. Ruby's class we were supposed to draw something to show everyone. I drew me, you, . . . and Iris and told everyone that you were my moms. Mrs. Ruby said that it was inappropriate and not normal to have . . . to have—"