𝟎𝟔

𝑖𝑟𝑖𝑠' 𝑝𝑜𝑣

"Impressive."

I looked up from Ariella who had crawled into my lap and watched as Aurora and my mom held a conversation — which seemed to be going good.

Well that's what I assumed judging by my mom's smile and a glint in Aurora's eyes as she spoke.

"More, please."

I looked back down at Ariella and laughed before filling the plate up with macaroni, dressing and ham once more.

She had been given her own plate, but decided to come over to my seat and steal mines. Aurora had scolded her about it, but I just excused it and allowed her to do whatever.

The blonde took a quick glance at us and sent me an apologetic smile.

"Ariella let her eat." Aurora whispered to the younger blonde again.

The six year old looked up at her mother with a messy face; cheese from the macaroni and cranberry sauce from the dressing coating her chubby cheeks.

I looked up and shook my head at the Aurora with a small smile , "It's alright. She isn't bothering me much."

She raised an eyebrow at me before replicating my smile and nodding.

"You've done just enough by cooking all of this for us. Go rest. I can handle it." I reassured my mom.

She sighed, "Are you sure?"

I nodded.

Her lips spread into a smile and she walked over to me with open arms.

"I love you." she whispered in my ear.

I laughed, "I love you too. Now go sleep."

The shorter woman pulled away from me and reluctantly walked away to the hallway, disappearing from my sight.

I let out a breath and looked around the kitchen.

Dishes were left over from plates that we'd used to eat on, glass cups that held our drinks, silverware that was used to eat with, and pots and pans that once held a tasteful food in it.

It's going to take a while, so no time to waste.

With that thought in mind, I grabbed my small speaker from my bedroom and clicked the shuffle on one of my Spotify playlists; keeping the volume low yet loud enough for me to hear the lyrics.

My mom was already preparing dishwater before I came into the kitchen and insisted that I clean up after today's dinner, so I didn't have to worry about doing that.

I immediately began bringing dishes from the table to the bubbly sink.

In the midst of putting a knife in the soapy water a presence was felt behind me which caused me to react by squealing and dropping the sharp utensil.

Luckily, a hand captured it before it could hit the ground or land somewhere else — such as my foot.

"Need help?" a familiar voice whispered softly.