𝟏𝟎

𝑖𝑟𝑖𝑠' 𝑝𝑜𝑣

I helped Ariella out of the car, immediately grabbing ahold of her hand to prevent her from running off.

Thanksgiving break had ended, so the six year old was back in school for now until the next holiday break. Aurora had went into work today, so it was my duty to pick up Ariella after school.

Today, she seemed to be less talkative and energetic than usual, so I decided to bring her to a frozen yogurt shop that I'd discovered.

Inside of the shop reminded me of a childhood dream; fun wallpaper and decorations were positioned on each and every wall. An upbeat song all but blasted from above, adding to the noise of laughter and chatting. There were kids with their parents and an old couple whispering sweet nothings to each other in a corner as they ate their treats.

"Wow." Ariella mumbled dreamily the moment we stepped into the colorful room.

The six year old's eyes were as wide as saucers as she looked at all of the frozen yogurt choices and toppings. The flavors varied from a plain vanilla to cotton candy. When it came to adding toppings we could be up there all day. There were many chocolates, candies, fruits, and even whipped cream to top it all off.

Ariella caught sight of the indoor playground and the many kids surrounding it, and the frown on her face immediately turned upside down. She made a move to sprint towards the children, but I took it upon myself to scoop the girl up in my arms and carry her to the opposite side of the play area where the frozen yogurt was.

"Frozen yogurt then you can make new friends, okay?"

Eyes a replicate of her mother's, only smaller and brighter stared up at me. I would've thought that she would've pouted at me, but she only nodded and smiled brightly.

"Okay. I want to try all the new ice cream flavors now!" Ariella excitedly announced, wiggling in my arms.

I chuckled and let her down before grabbing a small sample spoon and helping her taste multiple flavors until she found one that she liked.

Eventually, she decided to go with Birthday Cake. I helped her put some of the frozen yogurt in a small plastic cup before moving on to add her toppings. As expected, the six year old added a ton of candies and chocolate to her already sweet snack. I tried my best to not let her get too much sweetness because then I'd have to deal with a tummy ache.

Once we were sat at a table, Ariella immediately dug into her bowl of frozen yogurt. I had already listened to the young girl's eventful day at school on the way here, so I left her to be and answered my ringing phone.

Aurora.

"Hey, beautiful."

Ariella perked up a bit at hearing her mother's voice, but it didn't last long thanks to the half eaten dessert in front of her.

"Hi, Ro." I mumbled into the cellphone, a blush coating my cheeks, "How's work?"

"Fucking boring. I have been staring at the same view for the past hour and I'm starting to think I'm going crazy." the blonde groaned.

"That bad?"

"So bad, baby."

I exhaled and chewed on my bottom lip to get rid of the creeping thoughts that so badly wanted to invade my mind.