Chapter 21 - Mikael

I wait for her the next night, just down the block from Club Amnesia. It seems like an eternity before she leaves the club and draws near to me. I watch her scent the air as she walks and I see her eyes zero in on me. I step out of the shadows and she smiles at me, "You trying to sneak up on me Mikael? All laying in wait like some murderer or something."

I laugh and slip my arm around her waist as she comes even with me. Walking next to her her I say, "I missed you. I wanted to see you again. I haven't seen you since our date."

She is silent a minute before saying, "Yeah... I... You have been pushing how you want things to be pretty hard. I'm just not comfortable with it. I'm, I think maybe we should take a break from seeing each other for a while. So we can sort ourselves. I need to get my head straight and I think you do too. What do you think?"

My mind races as she speaks, she is going to choose him, I just know it. Now she wants time apart to sort ourselves. I know what she plans! Think Mikael, how can I turn this to my advantage? "Maybe you are right. I think some time apart could clear my head. I have been a little much haven't I?" She smiles, relief plain on her face. Perfect. I stop us and tug her close to me, wrapping my arms around her and looking down at her, "Before we go off to our separate corners, how would you feel about making love one more time? To tide me over till you and I are ready to see each other again?"

She smiles a soft little smile, "I don't know. I mean, will you promise me that you will go home in the morning? Can you do that? I don't want to hurt you by letting you get closer when I am trying to get some space. Are you going to be okay?"

Giving her a squeeze I tell her, "I have waited lifetimes for you. Now you are here and you need some time. I can do anything knowing you are going to be part of my life again."

She hugs me back, laying her head on my chest. I smile, knowing I have her fooled. She releases me and I school my face to the appropriate expression, softening my eyes and putting on a dopey smile. She takes my hand and we start walking to her trailer. Next time she comes back I will make sure that she does not get turned, can't have her remembering things like this. The things she does remember are incredibly annoying.

We arrive at her trailer and I ask her, "Why haven't you found a different place yet?"

She shrugs, "I've been busy. I haven't had time to do anything about it."

I look at her, "You barely need sleep and you are immune to the effects of the sun. What's the real reason?"

She turns away, crossing her arms in front of her as she gazes out the window. "I... This is the first place I have had to myself. I've just really loved it and I am loathe to leave it, even for something better."

I cross the room in an instant, wrapping my arms around her from behind, "I'm sorry love. I will say this, you could go ahead and buy a place. Just let it sit and wait for you to be ready. That way you'll have it. Or at least keep an eye on the market in case something you love comes up."

She nods, "I'll think about it."