Chapter 18 - Jasmine

I haven't seen Leonidas since our date and I am a little concerned. He did say he had to implement some changes within his gang so possibly that is what is keeping him away. For now, it is just as well. I am getting dressed for my date with Mikael. He sent over a dress that is gorgeous. I feel bad taking it out of the package here. The top half is corseted and it is fitted along the hips opening into an A shape with a split up one thigh. It is black with what I hope are rhinestones decorating the bust. The heels he sent match the dress, soft satiny black with stones encrusting the heels. My hair and makeup are done so I am just lounging on my bed till it is time to put the dress on. I don't want to mess it up or make it wrinkly laying around in it.

My phone chimes with the alarm I set, time to put the dress on, I know Mikael will be punctual. I am just slipping on the shoes when I hear the car pull up. Moving carefully I walk out of the trailer, the tiny purse he sent with the outfit in hand. Mikael is just getting out of the car and he stops, his mouth open for just a moment before he recovers. Hurrying over he extends a hand to help me balance as I walk through the grass to the passenger seat. He opens the door with a flourish, "Madame."

I giggle as I seat myself. Before he closes the door he says, "You do have identification with you, correct?"

Frowning I reply, "I do, but why would I need it?"

He closes the door and getting back into the drivers seat he says, "That is part of the surprise."

I question him as he drives but he won't give up any information. Then we arrive at the airport and he steers us through to the area with the private jets.

Swallowing I try to breathe as we park. I've never flown anywhere. Ok, I can do this. I wait while he walks around to my door, letting him open it and give me his hand to assist me. We walk arm in arm into the building. The pilot comes to greet us, telling Mikael that he is just finishing up the paperwork and we are welcome to board. Mikael guides me to one of them and we climb the stairs to the jet. The inside is lovely, all cream colored leather seats with gorgeous wood tables. Mikael leads me to a seat and after I seat myself he sits across from me. A flight attendant brings us some wine fortified with blood which I accept gratefully as I tend to skip meals on nights I don't have to work.

The pilot comes through, letting us know that we will be taking off momentarily. Mikael nods and thanks the man as he heads for the cockpit. I sip the wine and try not to watch out the window as I hear the engines fire up.

"Talk to me Mikael. I've never flown before and I'm a little nervous. Do you fly often?"

He looks surprised but says, "I do. I have business in various places and sometimes a deal requires me to be there. You really have nothing to worry about. This will be a short trip. We aren't going that far. It is just much faster this way. We can drive home if you find you don't like flying. Or even stay over and drive home tomorrow."

"Tell me about your life without me. What have you been doing all this time?"

He looks out the window, his lips pressed together, "I spent a great deal of time watching you or searching for you. I have watched you grow old and pass away surrounded by family that I despised for getting to be with you but also loved because they seemed to make you happy. When I wasn't spending my time watching you or searching for where you were born this time, I worked at multiplying my assets. To some extent I took care of that the entire time as I was occasionally called away. Most times I could content myself with simply being near you."

I shake my head, "Why didn't you ever come out in the open, speak to me even once?"

He looks away from the view out the window, "I always felt so guilty for being the reason you were killed. You barely got to live and then you were murdered so that he could get to me. If that weren't enough, then I went and got myself turned into a vampire. Damned for all eternity. The idea of bringing you into this, of damning your soul just so I could be part of your life... I felt like it would be the most selfish thing I had ever done." He downs the rest of his wine and holds the glass out. I watch as the flight attendant brings him a fresh glass, taking the old one away with her.