Chapter 16 - Mikael

Start from the beginning

I wonder if she pays off the owner to not watch when she gives a private session? Or maybe the bouncer? I know they aren't supposed to touch the girls, but maybe this place is less rule following than I imagine?

I pull into a lot down the street from the club. It is mostly deserted but I park in a less well lit corner away from the building. Checking the time I see that it is nearly two, I won't have to wait as long as I thought I would. She should be getting off work any time now. Getting out of the car I check the air but I don't smell Leonidas or any of his gang bangers in the vicinity. My hands in my pockets I stroll toward the club. I get to the last lamp post before the back door and I lean against it to wait. Jasmine always comes out this way and seeing me will comfort her, knowing she doesn't need to concern herself about anyone attacking her.

I have only waited ten minutes or so when the back door opens and Jasmine steps out. I smile at her though her attire, sexy as it is, makes me cringe that she would wear it in public. The cutoff shorts with fishnet stockings and heeled combat boots are bad enough, but pairing it with a distressed tank top and that ratty backpack we took from the kid her first night as a vampire is just too much.

I step away from the light pole as she walks toward me, her hands clutching the straps of her backpack, probably ashamed to have me see her like this. I want her to be at ease so I step forward as she draws near and spread my arms for a hug, "Jasmine, I've missed you."

She smiles a small smile and hugs me. Wrapping my arms around her feels so good, so right. I love having her here, now if I can just convince her to stay here. Better yet to move back to the house. I release her and she steps back. "Mind if I walk you home? Or we can drive if you prefer."

She studies my face for long minutes, I wish I knew what she was thinking. She nods and says, "You can walk me home, I enjoy the night air."

I step to the side and thread my arm through hers as we walk toward her place. "So how was work?"

She tenses, "It was good. I made a thousand dollars tonight even though it was kind of slow."

I lift a brow, "Kind of slow? The parking lot looked full."

She shrugs and takes her arm out of mine, "Yeah, that is kind of slow. We usually have them parked all around the block. Tonight it looks like they pretty well fit in the parking lot."

I nod and slip my hands into my pocket with a frown. "You seem stand-offish tonight, everything ok?"

She sighs, "I'm fine. But I never want to be touched right after I get off work. I spend my time in there dancing and letting strangers drool over me, by the end of the night I need some space for just me."

"I see. You know, you could always come live at the house. You wouldn't have to work and you could take whatever you have saved up to invest. It might be good for you to relax for a few years. Let me take care of you. Here," I stop and pull out the bank card I have carried in my wallet for some time now, "I created an account for you. Use it as you will, I have it set up so that money is wired to it monthly. There is plenty in there to take care of you so that you don't have to work."

Holding the card out to her I watch as she shakes her head no, saying, "I can't take your money. I don't want you giving me money thinking that will buy me. That isn't how this works Mikael."

I take her hand and press the card into it, "I promise, this money is yours. When we wed I was given a sizable estate to hold in trust for you. I can promise you that the money going in that account is from that original estate. I kept it for you because you always hated asking me for money. But the laws in that time forbade you having full control of your own money. So take the money. I will finish transferring all of that into the account and then sever the connection with my accounts. Ok?"

She studies my face. Sighing she nods, "Ok. If you swear this money is from an estate you had solely because of me and you will sever the payment set up once it is all transferred in, fine."

I release her hand, leaving the card. She slips it into a pocket. Pulling out the envelope with the pin number in it I hand that over as well. It goes in another pocket. We start walking again and I ask, "How did your date with Leonidas go?"

I hope for a report of dullness and her refusal to see him again but she smiles, "It went well. I don't think you really want to hear about that though. Anything exciting happening at the house? How are Chloe and Scarlett?"

I shrug, "They are well. I think they miss having you there. Morhall is quiet and peaceful. Possibly a little boring without you there. I miss your presence in the house."

"I'm not coming back Mikael. I need to be on my own, to live as I please without the interference of anyone. I spent too long, too many lifetimes trapped in marriages that kept me from being me. I will not be tied to any one person now."

"I suppose I do understand that. I feel relieved to be honest, that you aren't rushing into anything with Leonidas. He is not a good person."

"Why? Because he murders people? We do the same thing. I murdered someone the first night after I became a vampire. And more since then. I can assure you, that is not weighing on my conscience even a little bit. I almost feel like I could thank him for killing my husband and setting me free."

Frowning I look over at her, she has a smile on her face when she talks about him. I don't like it. I need to find a way to change her opinion of him. Maybe I can tie the guy she killed that first night to Leonidas in some way. She hated him for involving kids. It bears looking into. "I was thinking, we haven't been out on a date in centuries. May I take you out one night this week?"

Her face scrunches in concentration, she is adorable. She looks up at me, "I have Sunday night off, would that work for you?"

"You don't have Wednesday off this week?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

She raises a brow at me, "I traded with a girl that wanted Wednesday off. What's with the suspicion Mikael? Shouldn't you just be pleased that I will go out with you at all?"

Ooops. Well that backfired. "Of course I am! I am disappointed that I won't get to take you out sooner than Sunday night. I understand of course, duty calls. I would like to point out that you could just leave the job."

She rolls her eyes at me, the brat! "Mikael, I like my job. I like the girls I work with. I like doing something society deems inappropriate. Honestly, I am wondering about tattoos right now. Do they stick now that I am immortal?"

I shrug, "For a few years. Ten at most. After that they are so faded as to be non-existent or just completely gone. Sunday night? That gives me time to plan something really grand. I'll send something fancy over for you, I want you to feel like the princess you are. You are going to have a great time."

She laughs, "You're like a kid let loose in a candy store. I'm looking forward to it, I haven't felt like a princess in... Ever. It'll be nice to feel like a princess, even if it is only for a night."