Chapter 48

If I had to endure one more minute of Hale's hot breath tickling the tiny wisps of hair at the nape of my neck, I was going to lose it. 

We'd yet to leave the den of the abandoned house, and for the last ten minutes he'd been clinging to me, as if at any moment I was going to disappear. 

I'd promised him that I was fine and requested he let me go, to which he replied with a deep growl. I even tried slipping one of my hands between us so I could push him away, but his massive arms had mine pinned at my sides. 

A cage, I realized. He had wrapped his body around mine like a cage, to prevent me from leaving. And if I was being honest, it pissed me off.

Outside, Taji and her soldiers argued about the most efficient way to collect the bodies of the fallen while simultaneously scouring the streets for any survivors. I'd wanted to join them so I could offer my help, but given my current predicament that was out of the question.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Hale asked gruffly, finally loosening his hold so he could lean back to smooth a few stray hairs away from my face. His hazel eyes simmered with rage and concern as they scanned over me.

"I'm fine," I promised again, balling my fists at my sides to prevent myself from punching him in the face.

"Did -" His throat bobbed. "Did he..."

My eyes narrowed. "Did he what?" 

I'd known what he was trying to ask, but I wanted to hear him say it. If he was going to accuse Chaos simply based on his blind hatred for the male, he would have to grow a pair and say the words.

Hale sighed as he ran a hand through his disheveled hair. "Did he hurt you?" His voice faltered slightly.

"You mean did he force himself on me?" I clarified, crossing my arms. "That's what you're really asking, right?"

I wasn't sure why his question had upset me so much. Maybe it was because it felt like Hale was trying to put negative thoughts in my head by insinuating that it would not be out of the ordinary if Chaos had forced himself on me. And given the fact that the male had recently saved my life, the accusation did not sit well with me. Not at all.

Clearly Hale didn't think it was such a ridiculous notion, because he remained before me, his face impassive as he waited for my answer. "Well?"

"No," I grit out. "He didn't force himself on me." 

Not exactly a lie. Chaos hadn't forced himself on me, quite the opposite really, but I knew that if I told Hale I'd allowed another male to touch my wings, an intimate gesture reserved only for fated mates, it would be interpreted as such. 

Hale must have detected that I was not being one hundred percent truthful because the simmering in his eyes turned into a full on raging inferno. 

"You're lying," he snarled, narrowing his eyes into thin slits.

My own temper flared at his distrust. "You really don't want to go there with me, Haileon," I warned, stepping out of his grasp.

"No?" He cocked his head. "Then let's talk about how your stupidity almost got you killed today."

"My stupidity?" I gawked. "You're the one who thought it was a good idea to place a magical child lock on my bedroom door. It's not my fault you weren't smart enough to bar the windows too."

"You could have been captured!" Hale paced the length of the foyer. "What the fuck where you thinking?"

"I told you it was my choice to make!" I shouted at his back, tears burning my eyes. "Not yours. Yet you did what you wanted anyway!"