Chapter 8

Pushing through the stabbing pain slicing up my calf, I pump my arms faster, hobbling across the rugged terrain, never straying far from the riverbank. I had hoped that it would eventually lead me to a nearby town or village, somewhere I could hide for the time being until I could figure out my next move. I limped for what felt like miles and miles, when in reality I'd probably only made it one or two.

"Mother Fucker!" I bit my lip to prevent myself from screaming as I reached down to pull out a thorn from between my toes. Blinking back the tears gathering in the corners of my eyes, I stared off into the distance, squinting when the blurry outline of a man suddenly appeared atop a not so distant hill. 

"Little lion, come out come out wherever you are!" the teasing masculine voice echoed across the valley.

I relaxed slightly when I realized that it was Mr. Sunshine calling out for me, and not Mr. Thundercloud. If it had been him, I might've preferred to die right then and there than to face him again, especially after sending a swift kick to the family jewels. Glancing back to where Sunshine had been just a moment ago, my breath caught in the back of my throat when the spot he previously occupied was now empty. He'd been right there a moment ago, hadn't he?

Deciding that I was not about to wait around to find out, I continued my retreat. If I truly wanted to outrun both of these men, I needed to cross the river, and fast. The question was, would I be strong enough to make the swim across? I'd been deep in thought when a familiar snarl pulled me out of my thoughts. 

Crap. Guess I didn't kick him hard enough.

Turning slowly, I searched the landscape for his dark form, only to be confused when he was no where in sight. Releasing the breath I'd been hold, I ran for the trees. The pain from the wound on my abdomen was spreading, radiating through to my back. I didn't dare look at the damage that was done, I didn't need to. Without looking I knew that the black veins were beginning to spread from my exertions, but I couldn't let that stop me. I need to keep going. 

I pushed harder as I darted between the trees, glancing from left to right, keeping a watchful eye out for either of the men should they suddenly appear. I was going so fast that I nearly tripped over my own feet when a flash of white drew my attention. Retreating a few steps, I leaned between two birch trees to peer across the forest to where a woman with raven hair stood in a flowing white robe, stained with bright red blood. She smiled sadly and held out her hand, beckoning me. I found myself falling into her trance, taking a step towards her until the loud snap of a nearby twig pulls me out of the spell. Shaking my head to clear the haze, I glanced back to where she stood, only for her to disappear. 

I retreat a few steps back only to bump against an unmovable object. Reaching back with my hands, I start down low, feeling my way up the leather clad muscular thighs until I reach the weapons belt at his tapered waist, tiny shocks shooting up my arms the whole way.

"So we meet again, Thundercloud. Have you learned your lesson yet or are you going to try and touch me again?" I tease.

Before he can even lay a hand on me, I spin, fully intending to slap the bejeezus out of him, only for him to catch my hand mid air, mere inches away from his covered face. Gripping my wrist painfully, he leans in to whisper in my ear, close enough for me to smell his intoxicating scent of freshly fallen rain and a hint of spice.

"That, was not very nice," he rumbled into my ear.

Spinning me around so my back was to his front, I noted how he never released his painful hold on my arm, awkwardly pinning it behind my back as he leaned in, invading my personal space.

"Now be a good little girl and do as you're told," he growled.

I smile sweetly up at him right before I thrust my head back, once again connecting with his nose.