Chapter 23

HALE

"What?" I snap, catching Liam's disapproving look before he lifts the pint of ale to his lips.

"Nothing," he shrugs, brushing off my fowl mood just like he does any other day.

"Don't give me that bullshit," I throw my own glass into the fire, pleased with how loud it shatters, causing everyone around us to jump. "That's the fifth glare in the last ten minutes. If you have something to say, say it." I spread my arms in invitation.

"What do you want me to say, Brother?" his face remains stoic as he pours himself another glass, then hands one to me. "You've got everything under control right? It's not like you're keeping an innocent woman against her will or anything." he eyes me over the rim of his glass as he takes a long sip.

"Is that what this is about?" I sputter, "You're pissed because of how I'm handling that little girl?" I gawk at my oldest friend.

"That little girl," he snarls, "has gone through more shit than you will ever know, Haileon," his eyes blaze as he slowly lowers his glass. "You would know that if you spent two seconds getting to know her instead of incriminating her for a crime she may not have even committed. Keep pushing her this way, and you, we," he corrects himself, "will lose her."

"Why do you care?" 

"You forget that she is a member of my Court." he fists his chest, "As King, it's my duty to protect those left of the Aelius line. Nova's powers grow stronger everyday, don't pretend like you haven't noticed." he cut me off before I could object. "I don't know why, but I can't help but think that it was no accident that I found her in the woods that night. She is special, otherwise fate wouldn't have sent two of the most powerful Fae in Solistium to protect her."

"Protect her?" I snort, "What the hell does she need protecting from? She's nobody."

"Mark my words, Hale. She is more than she seems. Why else would someone go through such lengths to kill her," he stares into his cup. 

Awareness of his last words bristle at the back of my neck, "What did you just say?" I growl.

"See!" he points, "You care about her, why can't you just admit it." 

"Because!" I shout.

"Because why?" his face reddens.

"Because." I swallow hard, "As soon as I say it out loud, it becomes true. If I allow myself to acknowledge the feelings that I have are real, she becomes my weakness. And if she is ever is taken from me. She will," I choke on the words, "It will...".

"It will destroy you," he finishes for me.

I shake my head, "I can't go through that again."

"So what? Instead of taking a chance at being happy, you push her way and treat her like shit?" he shakes his head in disbelief. 

"It's the only way I can make sure she does not try to come back after I do what I have to," I hang my head in defeat.

"The meeting went well today I take it?

"As well as can be expected."

"When do we leave?"

"In a few days." I frown, staring at the ground.

"I still don't agree with this. She deserves to know."

"I have no choice!" I shout, raking my hands through my hair.

"You always have a choice, Hale," Liam stands, putting a hand on my shoulder, "I just hope you are making the right one."

I watch his retreating form as he stomps back towards our tents. Back towards where she is still tied to my bed.