Epilogue

CHAOS

"Fuck," I hissed as I stumbled sideways into yet another wall. My shoulder slammed into stone, causing a few pebbles to shake free from the keep's already crumbling foundation. I winced as I placed a hand over my heart and rubbed at the searing pain throbbing inside my chest.

 It was almost too much to bare. Almost.

Ignoring the burning, I leaned against the wall and willed myself to slither further down the dark hall towards my destination.

Something in the air was setting the beast on edge. And if I didn't get a handle on him soon, he was going to break loose. Which did not bode well for me or the reputation I'd worked so hard to achieve. 

The Angel of Death did not lose control. 

But here I was. Struggling to maintain my Fae form while the monster inside begged for release. 

I was still in control - for now - but in this state, I didn't know for how long. 

I didn't have to look into a mirror to know my pupils had narrowed into thin reptilian slits. Or that my fingers had transformed into long black talons. I cracked my neck as thick, dark scales rippled up the side towards my temple.

It has been many years since I felt this kind of frustration burning inside of me. And it was all her doing.

I should have stopped following her a long time ago, but I can't seem to control the monster inside. He's drawn to her just as much as I am. 

Even across the Kingdom, I could still feel her, almost as if she were standing right next to me. She wanted to kill me. I didn't blame her. But that didn't make it hurt any less.

I did what I had to. And it worked.

She hated me.

I drew in a sharp breath as another wave of pain shot out. 

Fuck!

I braced a hand on the wall and stared at the double doors leading to the throne room. Breathing in through my nose, I closed my eyes and I took a few deep, calming breaths. Eventually, my breathing became deep and even, going in and out of my lungs in a steady rhythm until it kept pace with the beat of my heart.

When I was satisfied that the beast was tucked away, I ran a hand through my short, dark hair,  and cleared my throat before I placed my hands against the ancient stone doors and swung them open.

As I strode into the dimly lit chamber, I ignored the leering faces of my court as the crowd parted for me. The assembly took up most of the space, some of them standing off the each side of the room, gossiping in hushed tones, while others milled about, drinking their fill. But the majority of the them watched me as I made my way across the cold marble floor towards the two dark thrones sitting on a raised dias.

Only one of them remained empty. For there, lounging on the larger of the two, sat the Goddess of Chaos herself.

"Eris." I dipped my chin slightly as I began my ascent towards the empty throne at her side. 

The bone shard crown resting atop her unbound blue-black hair brought out the treachery in her midnight eyes. Her porcelain skin glowed, signifying her divinity, while her blackened lips and fingers hinted at the evil lurking beneath the surface.

I suppose some might have considered her to be beautiful, but in my eyes she was nothing more than a demon spawn set from the bowels of hell to torture me for all eternity.

"There you are," Eris said, her lilting voice echoing across the room. "I've been wondering what dark corner of the realm you crawled off to," she purred.