"We do not control it. We can only collect and disperse it. Do you not remember anything you are taught, young master?"

Wei Ying's mind began imagining the possibilities. If the artifact in the Wen's possession could collect resentful energy, then why didn't they use it to cleanse the Burial Mounds? Could it only hold so much? How much?

Was it possible it could be used to drain him of the darkness living inside him? Was that a good thing? Or a bad thing? It could be a good thing if it freed him from the constant craving of the demonic energy to kill? But, if he was cleansed of it, would he be left helpless and weak? What would happen to his black core? What if it broke his soul bond with Lan Zhan? What if he was no longer able to stand by Lan Zhan's side as his husband?

Lan Zhan.

Wei Ying's rambling thoughts returned to his betrothed. His soulmate must be so worried about him. Wei Ying had promised his jade that he wouldn't do anything stupid. And he broke that precious promise. No, scratch that. He didn't just break it. He threw it over the edge of a cliff where it smashed into a thousand tiny pieces. Now he was the Wen Clan's prisoner and his Lan Zhan was probably losing his mind trying to find him.

He had to get out of here. He had to escape. He had to.....

Calloused fingers touched his chin, lifting his face upwards.

"I see you're awake, Wei-gongzi. Would you like a drink of water?" Wen Zhuliu asked with kindness.

Wei Ying's eyes fluttered open. Staring back at him were mahogany brown ones that were clear and confident. The look on Wen Zhuliu's face was one of pure satisfaction. A satisfaction that sent shivers down Wei Ying's spine. It was absolute and undeniable.

Wei Ying jerked his head to the side, not liking the feel of Wen Zhuliu's hand against his skin.

The Wen soldier took a cup of water from the table behind him. He held it up to Wei Ying's lips but frowned faintly when the young man refused his offering.

"If you don't trust me, then we will share a cup."

Wen Zhuliu sipped from the cup first then placed it back up to Wei Ying's dry lips. He held it there for a few seconds before taking it away again.

"I promise no harm will come to you, Wei Wuxian. Please drink. You must be thirsty."

Wei Ying looked at him with wariness. His silver eyes glanced to his left where the other person stood. He was right. The kid was a spoiled brat. His pouty sneer proved it. Wei Ying wanted to wipe that look of disgust off his face and kick him square in the ass. Well, there'd be time for that later.

"I'll drink," he answered, his gaze slowly sliding back to Wen Zhuliu. "But not from that cup. Get me a clean one."

Wen Zhuliu bowed and turned to retrieve another cup. This time when presented with the teacup, Wei Ying drank from it. Gulp after gulp of the cold refreshing water poured down his parched throat. When he was done, he surveyed his surroundings.

He was definitely NOT in a dungeon. It appeared to be a guest room. The furnishings were exquisite. Red curtains fell around the windows and gray walls were painted with the Wen Clan sun symbols. Tables adorned with food and drink were etched in detailed artwork. The floors were as smooth as silk and reflected the bright sunlight pouring in through the windows. Hanging behind a small desk was a portrait of who Wei Ying could only assume was Wen Rouhan. The decor was gaudy and wreaked of wealth stolen from others.

"Thank you." Wei Ying replied. There was no need for him to be rude to his captor. At least, not yet.

Wen Zhuliu leaned against a high table behind him, his hands resting on the wood by his sides. The young brat mimicked his elder except that he crossed his arms in front of him.