☙ | t w e n t y - s i x |

Start from the beginning

But when I think about it now, picturing her dead body doesn't feel as satisfying as it's supposed to.

She was definitely pretty, that much I couldn't deny - as well as the fact that I feel a sort of pull with her that I didn't pay mind to before. I couldn't place a finger on it, but at some point she had managed to catch my attention. Not a huge part of it of course, a bigger part of me still gets annoyed whenever she speaks up, like I can't help but disagree with anything she says.

Still. Maybe it's the way she acts so brave and reckless, yet there are sparks of kindness here and there. Well, not to me, but to other people at least. Or not even them, just the ones she holds close to her heart.

After the person I hired to run a check of Annalyn's life had told me all about her, it sparked my interest even further. I had already known that she hadn't had an easy life, but I didn't know she was an orphan now. I didn't know that she had been in the woods for eleven years as well. Except for her it was necessary, while it was a chore for me.

And seeing as she ran towards the forest in a time when she was broken, I think she loves it in there, that maybe it meant more to her than a place where she could shoot down food.

I remember the wooden object I found in Anna's boot last night. It fell out when I removed it from her foot.

Reluctantly, I untangle myself from Annalyn, hearing her grumble in protest against the many movements, but she doesn't wake up, which I'm thankful for. I sit up on the edge of my bed, running a hand over my face to try and wake myself up before heaving my body up to my feet.

I walk over to the desk just by one of the huge windows, spotting the object almost immediately. It was a slingshot - not the best one out there - and I wonder where she got it.

I'm sure it wasn't a guard. I mean, what guard would give a weapon to a servant, and what for? A slingshot couldn't start an uprising. Annoy a few people, and break a few things, yeah sure, but neither Anna nor anyone else had attempted to do such a thing so I guess that's not the right angle to look at.

The person I hired - god I've forgotten her name already - told me that Anna was flawless with a bow and arrow, so it makes sense that she'd find a more inconspicuous version of it. But then that doesn't answer my why and how questions. Not to mention why it was hidden in her boot while she was at the ball.

And there's another peculiar thing. Annalyn attended the ball with an unpainted face and muddy boots, yet she still somehow looked a thousand times better than the other girls who had no doubt paid a lot of money to look like porcelain dolls as they stumble around in their high heels.

How she managed that, I don't know.

What I do know is that I had to stop thinking about that issue before it worsens. God knows me, out of all people, could not get attached to someone. Always business before pleasure, if anything. Would I like a shot at a simple future? Of course. Do I get the shot? No, of course I don't.

I sighed, putting down the slingshot before looking out the window. It was already morning, sunlight already bright as I looked down on a great view of people from the richest town taking morning walks or rides in carriages.

But I didn't feel like joining them and frolic around the shops to buy things I didn't even need.

Instead, I felt like I wanted to spend the day in bed - not in the same way I usually do either.

I shuffle back towards the bed, lifting the blankets so I could crawl back under them, before making my way towards Anna's body and slinging an arm around her waist again.

She was so warm and comfy, despite the fact that she didn't smell like expensive perfumes - or maybe that's why. I never did like the smell of those things, they make me dizzy.

Annalyn start to move again, groaning softly. I shush her, expecting for her to quiet down like she had the past few times I did that, but instead I get a reply. "What?" Her scratchy voice speaks up.

She's awake.

"Shit." I am so dead.

_______________

You think this is a filler? Lol no. It's laced with so much foreshadowing, good luck in trying to spot them all guys.

Is there such thing as a teaser chapter? Well there is now, I'm inventing it omg.

On another point, I'm sorry for the short chapters, barely have time to write so yeah. Better than a crappy long one and like once a week updates anyway.

THE COLOR THEME MY AUNT WANTS IS MINT GREEN AND BABY PINK SOMEONE HELP ME TALK HER OUT OF THIS, IT LOOKS AWFUL.

OH AND VOTE COMMENT AND FAN AS USUAL. (the comment part is v important bc feedback.)