Prologue

DI Harris POV

"What've we got?" I sighed as I arrived on scene.

"Judging by the multiple stab wounds around the upper back, I'd say it's the latest victim from the Schwartz Gang."

"Already? Are you sure? It's only been a week since the last one." DI Daniels chimed in, steering my attention away from the body.

The medical examiner nodded, "I'll need to run some tests to be sure but when have I been wrong." She smirked.

"Never." Daniels and I said in unison, rolling our eyes.

"Detectives." A girl called from down the alley.

She must be new. I definitely would have noticed her before.

She's so small it's adorable. I wonder where her head would come up to if she stood next to me...

"Toni, you coming?" Daniels said, pausing to look back at me with a knowing expression.

Shit, I got caught staring in 4k.

I shook my head and caught up with Daniels.

"I thought this could be important." The girl shrugged as she crouched beside the newly discovered evidence.

Does she know how gorgeous she is?

Probably...

I wonder when she started?

Is she going to be around more often?

I bloody hope not... I can't concentrate on anything else...

"Detective, what do you think it is?"

I know she's talking because her mouth is moving but I can't hear anything coming out.

I'm down astronomically bad.

"Harris?"

My attention snapped to Daniels' who dared to nudge me in the arm.

"Do that again and you'll be off the case," I said sternly.

"Sorry." She mumbled.

"I'm going to be late, find out what you can about this and fill me in back at the station."

"Yes ma'am."

I have got to get out of here...