It's your choice

Steve and I stayed close to each other until the sun was setting. We stayed in silence as I did with Eddie when we shared a cigarette, but with Steve It was different.

I don't know why I can't shake Eddie off my system, it's not like I knew him since we were kids. That's what makes me mad, he did a lot of things in such a short time, and with Steve, I can't figure out what it is. I just know something has changed between us.

I lift my head off his shoulder. "You guys should leave, it's getting late." Steve sighs.

"Do you want me to leave?" He looks at me. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

"It's your choice," I answer while getting up to walk towards the door.

"It's not my choice to make, and you know it, Hanna," Steve said, making me freeze in front of the door. Something tells me he didn't mean the thing about staying or not, it was something else.

Like I'd said, something changed between us.

I breathe out before grabbing the door handle. "The both of you can stay if you want to. Robyn and you can stay if you guys want." I needed to clarify the names, and change the subject of what we were talking about. I know I hurt him as I didn't answer what he was really asking. I did it on purpose, I can't give him the answer he wants.

Getting inside, I met Robyn, who was looking through the window next to the door. Her silence could say she saw everything. She looked at me with tender eyes.

I look at her for a moment before talking. "I'm going to take a nap, my head hurts." Robyn doesn't reply and I just walk toward my room.

I closed the door of my room, I lay in my bed on my side with my back to the door. As I'm zoning out looking at the old wallpaper of the room, I hear the squeak of the door I close not even five minutes ago open.

"Hanna?" I heard his voice. Steve's voice, was more like a whisper but I was able to hear it. A tear rolled down my cheek, but I didn't reply.

I'm sorry Steve.

Two days later:

I woke up with my mouth feeling like a desert, I sat up straight and I got dizzy. I held on to the railing of my bed as a reflex. I wait a minute or two before getting off my bed from the stairs, since I don't want to slip because of my dizzy ass. Opening the door of my room, the smell of bacon gets into my nose trails.

Mmm okay?

Steve was cooking while Robyn and Ruby were sitting in the counter bar chairs eating scrambled eggs and bacon.

"Morning," I say, walking towards the fridge to take out a bottle of water. Shallowing, the water was like heaven to my throat.

The three of them look at me as if they haven't seen me in a week or something.

"I know I slept all the afternoon till morning, I was tired," I say leaning reaching the counter, and resting my elbows on it.

"Mmm, Hanna...you were out for two days," Robyn said to me while I took another sip of my water.

Almost, and I choke with it.

"What?!" I say trying to remember what day was two days ago to know what day is today. ¨Then it's Monday. Shit! You are supposed to be at school, Ruby." I say, putting my hands in my face in stress.

Oh god, how am I supposed to take care of her if I continue like this?

I heard the sound of a plate clacking on a surface, then I felt the warmth of a hand on my shoulder. I take my hands off my face to see a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon as a happy face in front of me, with Steve standing beside me.